No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only consider Nvidia again if they would offer a platform that is more open than AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      I think a great compromise would be something similar to AMD. The kernel driver is open source and works with mesa, but Nvidia can keep their large userland blob available for people who want better performance.
      Mesa will catch up to it, once kernel will be ironed out. So blob will become obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post

I think it has something to do with google stadia...
        it has to be, because as we already know google uses open source software for their commercial applications and nvidia doesn't match that criteria, which would be needed for google to make a contract with them in buying their GPUS for server side rendering. Meanwhile AMD is ahead of the game in this area, even if their GPUS consume much more power and generate more heat their stack is easier to work with given the nature of Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          I would only consider Nvidia again if they would offer a platform that is more open than AMD.
          Open firmware would be a start.

Comment

In March? Why not let the world know now? Are they worried this top secret information will be used by their competitors against them to gain an edge? haha XD

So bloody secretive... Either they are a bunch of immature kids or they are criminals. My guess is a mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Mesa will catch up to it, once kernel will be ironed out. So blob will become obsolete.
              I don't think so. Nvidia goes out their way to do things like replace entire shaders in games in their blob. Mesa doesn't have the resources to keep up with those game specific optimzations and Nvidia sure as hell isn't going to open source them.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I don't think so.
                It will. That's how open source collaboration works. Once blob barriers are out of the way, real competition begins.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What about they just port the Radeon configurator to Linux, if it is already written in Qt?
                  Not only this, but also the features like Anti-Lag or Chill would be quite handy on Linux, too.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It will. That's how open source collaboration works. Once blob barriers are out of the way, real competition begins.
                    Nvidia is not going to open source anything that could help AMD. Having a proper Nvidia kernel driver in mainline Linux probably won't help AMD, Nvidia open sourcing all their tricks would.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Not only this, but also the features like Anti-Lag or Chill would be quite handy on Linux, too.
                      They could use Google's negative latency technology

Comment

Working...
                      X