NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

The more competition the better. Maybe that is an incentive for AMD to keep investing into their software stack. The current ROCm situation is still less than desireable from an end user point of view.
    Okay.. A QT5 based Catalyst Control Centre would be fine for Linux.

Comment

I have to wonder why they suddenly care. No money in short sheeting ram, or Navi 23 breathing down their neck.

Comment

and NVIDIA kernel drivers

So let's hope this talk will be somewhat complete and at least have a few words on nvgpu, NVidia's open source driver, and why it wasn't a dick move that they chose not to reply to Nouveau folks when requested things that NVidia was going to open source anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
          I have to wonder why they suddenly care. No money in short sheeting ram, or Navi 23 breathing down their neck.
          I think it has something to do with google stadia...

Comment

I'm not excited. I'm pretty sure they're gonna do something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post

Okay.. A QT5 based Catalyst Control Centre would be fine for Linux.
              What about they just port the Radeon configurator to Linux, if it is already written in Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

Not an expert, but I think the kernel module already is open sourced, it's just not mainlined.
                It's a shim layer that wraps around a binary afaik. The shim is open source.

Comment

Releasing signed firmware and more documentation would be nice. Getting XWayland acceleration to work would be nice too.

Comment

The market is about to get very difficult for them, lots of AI/ML dedicated silicon, GPUs won't be selling as much.

On the other hand Linux is everywhere and growing, and they can't afford not to support Linux properly for too long.

Comment

Very much overdue, but a good development. It's likely due to increasing pressure from AMD and also upcoming Intel high end GPUs. Competition works after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X