Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    no, it has not. closed firmware is only an issue for latest generations,
    Which basically means all recent cards, which means it can't work with full performance. What is there to argue about even? No one is going to use outdated hardware to work around this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      if you are excited about amd open driver performance, keep in mind that it is written mostly by amd employees and with full access to documentation(yes, even radv)
      No, radv is developed mostly independently from AMD. Do you have a reliable source which claims otherwise?

Comment

Oh, well does that mean i may be able to use my 2017 laptop somewhere between 2021 and 2025 ? Awesome !
        [...]
        For the time being, i'm glad i just bought a Lenovo T495 (Ryzen7/Vega10/24G RAM). Works great with Fedora31. My Steam library approves too.
        Last but not least, I experienced a firmware upgrade triggered from the system : exciting stuff, greatest linux firmware upgrade experience ever.

Comment

I hate how bad drivers kind of hold the reins of Linux back. I sometimes wonder why this has been the case for literally decades. I feel like the time should come when one day, linux drivers are better than windows drivers. Then stay that way for years to come. That will cause a paradigm shift in the usage levels of Linux over windows. I think this OS movement by AMD and NVidia will finally give M$ something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            If they finally realized that it is less expensive to keep an open source driver that already exists it is already a success.
            And what precisely would make it less expensive? Care to enlighten? As a rule, crushing majority of the people working on GPU drivers are vendor's own devs..

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
              I hate how bad drivers kind of hold the reins of Linux back. I sometimes wonder why this has been the case for literally decades. I feel like the time should come when one day, linux drivers are better than windows drivers. Then stay that way for years to come. That will cause a paradigm shift in the usage levels of Linux over windows. I think this OS movement by AMD and NVidia will finally give M$ something to think about.
              if you're an amd user and you think stability is important, then that paradigm shift happened in 2007.

I expect it'll never happen at Nvidia.

Comment

AMD GPUs work out of the box with most Linux distributions and this is happen now.

It will take time from the moment releasing the specs&docs for their GPUs and the moment when that specs will be implemented in software, to be stable enough and finally adopted by distributions [and and among users' preferences] stable video drivers.
                An uncertain future, betting on nVidia [GPUs] on laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                  And what precisely would make it less expensive? Care to enlighten? As a rule, crushing majority of the people working on GPU drivers are vendor's own devs..
                  Well as you said, the majority of the people working on GPU drivers are the vendors own devs. Any code, ideas and experiments they get from the outside are at the expense of somebody else, for instance Valve or Croteam.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

Well as you said, the majority of the people working on GPU drivers are the vendors own devs. Any code, ideas and experiments they get from the outside are at the expense of somebody else, for instance Valve or Croteam.
                    How much of that could there be? It's very specific knowledge, you pretty much need documentation and internal know how from vendor.

Comment

Seems like nvidia removed "Open Source, Linux Kernel, and NVIDIA." from gtc sessions.

Comment

Working...
                      X