Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Will End Out 2019 In Poor Shape Still For Newer GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Will End Out 2019 In Poor Shape Still For Newer GPUs

Phoronix: The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Will End Out 2019 In Poor Shape Still For Newer GPUs

For the imminent Linux 5.5 kernel cycle we have talked about exciting AMD Radeon and Intel graphics driver changes on deck from Navi OvrDrive overclocking to more Intel Tiger Lake and Jasper Lake bits, AMDGPU HDCP support, and other features queued. But what about the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Linux driver?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We don't need a miracle from nouveau - we need a miracle from NVIDIA in a form of signed firmware for unlocking reclocking and fan management.

Comment

What's wrong with Nvidia?
      Both Intel and AMD both have free open source device drivers. Also, now Intel is going to seriously pursue desktop graphics with their upcoming Intel Xe graphics card.
      I don't know why Nvidia won't open source their device drivers, their competition seem to be able to.

Comment

AMD also wasn't able to really open up their existint drivers, they did a rewrite from scratch for the most part. Nvidia will be in the same situation, assuming they use external IP in their drivers, which is mostly certain. That's no excuse for the lack of an open driver these days, but I think shows some effort would be needed, so it's even worse.

Comment

After i740 3D AGP graphic accelerator in '90, hope Intel keep up with their plan to (re-)enter in [high end] discrete GPUs market in 2020 to compete direct with both AMD and proprietary NVIDIA and forcing them to be [much] more friendly in relationship with Nouveau. Not jackass as they are today
          Last edited by onicsis; 24 November 2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Navi OvrDrive overclocking to

Comment

Nvidia is not interested in a high performance open-source driver. It is against their business model. The closed source driver is key to segmenting markets. They are scared as hell of Google and other companies to just use consumer Gpus.

Comment

Normally I said "Fuck you Nvidia!" in the past, but now I really don't care, I have switched all my computers to Intel and AMD graphics.
                I say that Nouveau developers did a great job considering the conditions and they deserve a big thank you, but probably they should move to the other side to improve the open source drivers of Intel and AMD.

Comment

Can't wait to get rid of my Nvidia GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    if Nvidia follows the AMD-Closed-source firmware logic they could just move the complete driver into the firmware and say: DONE...
                    I guess you've never coded anything... firmware can't call into OS code (at least not easy), only the other way around, so no, they can't just move everything, because they would need to rewrite the drivers anyway.

Besides, your so-called AMD-Closed-source firmware logic is the usual way every vendor develops drivers for any hardware you find out there, be it open source drivers or not. Intel does the same, network cards makers (both wired and wireless) do the same and so on.

Comment

Working...
                    X