Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muncrief
    replied
    I don't buy NVIDIA GPUs because they block their usage in VMs. I don't need much for my Windows 10 VM, so I tried to use a GT 710 I had lying around. It took weeks before I was able to figure out how to fool it into working without the dreaded error 43, but even then I had terrible audio stuttering. So I went out and bought a cheap RX 560 14CU, and it worked like a charm.

The bottom line is that NVIDIA is an unethical company, for multiple reasons.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Yeah I need to upgrade my Alienware 15 with a Radeon M395X - cant wait to get a true 7nm Zen2 mobile chip with Navi graphics PRIME setup
    Hmm... is that the fastest Radeon mobile chipset out there? Coz that's still much slower than the GTX 980m on the Oryx Pro that I bought three years ago.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

NVIDIA could use their userland blob with the nouveau drivers, similar to what AMD does.
    They can't. Nvidia develop drivers not only for Linux, but also for FreeBSD and Solaris. They share a lot of code between these platforms. Nouveau is Linux only (Yeah, I know about ports for BSD but they are just ports, Nouveau is developed for Linux). AMD officially supports only Linux (and Windows of course).

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    I'm obviously not expecting much but it would be nice the see the open source driver become more viable, because currently its pretty much a given that you don't use it.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    meanwhile people are still waiting for their AMD powered gaming laptops.
    I'm also looking for a RyZen notebook.

Last time I checked there was not a single notebook that featured a display better than FHD.

NOT-A-SINGLE-ONE.

Not even Lenovo that now has RyZen T-Series notebooks and could easily
    configure the thing with the already existing higher-res displays of the intel T-models.

Can there be another explanation than intel pressuring OEMs
    to not configure RyZen notebooks that compete with intel high-end models?
    I see that RyZen notebooks are targeted at a lower price-tag.
    But not a single offer with a display better than FHD?
    Come on!

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    Nvidia... being nice? I don't think so. Waiting for the hammer.

Leave a comment:

• jpenguin
    replied
    Originally posted by gerddie View Post
    I got one of these, without OS, and it's nice. There are still a few quirks: The keyboard backlight needs an out-of-tree driver, and so does the Wifi chip, but apart from that everything works with Ubuntu 19.04. The touchpad is a bit low quality though.
    I read that you need too boot with
    Code:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500

I have a bit too much going on to deal with a new lappy right now, but it looks like what I want

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Yeah I need to upgrade my Alienware 15 with a Radeon M395X - cant wait to get a true 7nm Zen2 mobile chip with Navi graphics PRIME setup

Leave a comment:

• gerddie
    replied
    Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
    I got one of these, without OS, and it's nice. There are still a few quirks: The keyboard backlight needs an out-of-tree driver, and so does the Wifi chip, but apart from that everything works with Ubuntu 19.04. The touchpad is a bit low quality though.

Leave a comment:

• jpenguin
    replied
    I'm looking at https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS...aming-FX505DY/ But it is annoying that ZaReason, System76 & ThinkPenguin all have laptop with nvidia GPU's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X