NVIDIA Starts Publishing GPU Hardware Documentation To Help Open-Source Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I'd have to dig to find it, but Ilia Mirkin had a good post a ways back on why the last part has gotten a lot harder recently. It used to be that you could just capture the firmware being uploaded to the GPU by some mmio tracing and checking which commands the CPU was using to load the firmware to the GPU. Nowadays, the GPU does a direct DMA load from system RAM into the GPU RAM so it's a bit more complicated. Not impossible, but hard enough no one has bothered yet.
    Courtesy of a GoL reader: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...427#post998427
    shmerl also replied with https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...316#post998316

I'm not against buying an nvidia GPU some day, but they'd have to up their OSS game first...

Comment

Do not applaud Nvidia for doing the most basic thing. They're drip feeding you with things that should be out there to begin with, and hoping people will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        meanwhile people are still waiting for their AMD powered gaming laptops.
        AMDs APUs are quite capable of running basic games like CS:GO, LoL, Fortnite and stuff.
        If you need/want 4K and maximum settings in AAA games, then those overpriced ugly thermal throtteling devices a.k.a. gaming laptops are the wrong choice anyway.

Comment

Me reading the article:

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
            AMD caught up nicely and now are 10 years ahead on the opensource driver war.
            But if Nvidia should one day decide to actively work on open source linux kernel drivers, they would have the resources to get first results out a lot faster than AMD.

Comment

Releasing information is one of the ingredients. I see nothing about Nvidia starting an open source driver team themselves, so it points to them expecting other people to add the other ingredient: i.e. taking the data and making a (more) functional driver from it.

Nouveau developers are the ones who decide if anything will happen here; the people Nvidia has stymied all these years have to agree to turn this into something real. Good for them if they choose to. But I would completely understand if they had burned out from frustration or simply moved on to other interests. The old adage 'strike while the iron is hot' comes to mind. We will now see how much heat the metal retains and if the fire will grow or wane beneath it.

Comment

I'm looking at https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS...aming-FX505DY/ But it is annoying that ZaReason, System76 & ThinkPenguin all have laptop with nvidia GPU's

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                  I got one of these, without OS, and it's nice. There are still a few quirks: The keyboard backlight needs an out-of-tree driver, and so does the Wifi chip, but apart from that everything works with Ubuntu 19.04. The touchpad is a bit low quality though.

Comment

Yeah I need to upgrade my Alienware 15 with a Radeon M395X - cant wait to get a true 7nm Zen2 mobile chip with Navi graphics PRIME setup

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
                      I got one of these, without OS, and it's nice. There are still a few quirks: The keyboard backlight needs an out-of-tree driver, and so does the Wifi chip, but apart from that everything works with Ubuntu 19.04. The touchpad is a bit low quality though.
                      I read that you need too boot with
                      Code:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500

I have a bit too much going on to deal with a new lappy right now, but it looks like what I want

Comment

Working...
                      X