The Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Driver Gets A Batch Of Fixes For Linux 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Hmmm, I have a Zotac 1080TI MINI and don't appear to experience crashes. What games are crashing often for you?
    XCOM2 (with LW2). Aren't frequent or reproducible reliably. Might be related to:

[27.237609] resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000d0000-0x000d3fff window]
    [27.237697] caller _nv000939rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

or might not be.
    Not nearly as terrible as it used to in past (with hard freezes) but it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by dockthedock View Post

The new Navi cards are on par with the RTX lineup regarding performance/watt. Check any review.

Yes, AMD achieved this by using a better process technology, but still, they closed the gap completely. Next year though, Nvidia will overtake again with 7nm.
      Not this time. Nvidia lost a lot with their investment on RTX technologies and the die size of their card is too big because of their tensors.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Not this time. Nvidia lost a lot with their investment on RTX technologies and the die size of their card is too big because of their tensors.
        It seems AMD will put money in same hole as Nvidia did:

"Although that statement wasn’t clear on whether it was the games or the hardware that AMD wanted to catch up to ray tracing before it would implement it, it did suggest AMD itself wasn’t invested in it. But just two months later at CES 2019, AMD CEO Lisa Su told reporters that the company was “deep in development,” on ray tracing technology."

What exactly is AMD's plan for ray tracing? We don't have long to wait to find out for sure, but here's everything we know about AMD ray tracing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

XCOM2 (with LW2).
          I remember playing XCOM2 on my 1080TI a LONG time ago (closer to its release) but not the LW2 mod. You should check to see if it happens without LW2, but really if only 1 game has a issue then it might not be related to drivers. Unreal3/4 games can be quite problematic under Linux unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by llukas View Post

"Although that statement wasn’t clear on whether it was the games or the hardware that AMD wanted to catch up to ray tracing before it would implement it, it did suggest AMD itself wasn’t invested in it. But just two months later at CES 2019, AMD CEO Lisa Su told reporters that the company was “deep in development,” on ray tracing technology."

What exactly is AMD's plan for ray tracing? We don't have long to wait to find out for sure, but here's everything we know about AMD ray tracing right now.

Ray-tracing is the future. Raster's a dead end: https://youtu.be/SrF4k6wJ-do

Comment

Originally posted by llukas View Post

Keyword is implementation. Rat-tracing itself is an old technique which existed since 1968. Crytek showed real-time ray-tracing does not need dedicated hardware component like Tensor cores. Intel made a ray-tracing demo using a modified Enemy Territory. Even the Playstation 4 can do it as demonstrated by Q-Games from Son y Japan with their Tomorrow Children game using Asynchronous Compute. Nvidia just rushed their implementation which is obviously ready.

Originally posted by josh_walrath
              Ray-tracing is the future. Raster's a dead end: https://youtu.be/SrF4k6wJ-do
              Future of the past because ray-tracing is older than rasterization.

Comment

Keyword is implementation. Rat-tracing itself is an old technique which existed since 1968. Crytek showed real-time ray-tracing does not need dedicated hardware component like Tensor cores. Intel made a ray-tracing demo using a modified Enemy Territory. Even the Playstation 4 can do it as demonstrated by Q-Games from Son y Japan with their Tomorrow Children game using Asynchronous Compute. Nvidia just rushed their implementation which is obviously ready.
                Crytek showed a non-playable tech demo. It looks like it is ray-tracing friendly/optimized due to being mostly dark. There is a giant gap from tech demo to complete games like BF5 or Metro (or even quake II RTX

Future of the past because ray-tracing is older than rasterization.
                We got rendering equation way before we could muster enough compute horsepower to solve it. If you want to have realistic rendering, rasterization is a hack that requires developers to put much more work into game assets that they need to (pre-bake lights, problems with dynamic scenes). GPUs efficiently handling ray-tracing (be it nvidia/amd/intel) mean many smaller developers can do better games as less work is needed. I'd say this would affect a fair chunk of games released on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I remember playing XCOM2 on my 1080TI a LONG time ago (closer to its release) but not the LW2 mod. You should check to see if it happens without LW2, but really if only 1 game has a issue then it might not be related to drivers. Unreal3/4 games can be quite problematic under Linux unfortunately.
                  I know many of those are indeed related to vanilla XCOM2 and LW2 (its known memory leaks hence hangs due to swapping, WOTC solved some of performance problems but I don't like the style of DLC). Some crashes happen early though so not due to I OOM. I also used to have some crashes in Dirt Rally on previous card (Fermi 570), I think reseating card in PCI-E might have helped there. No problems in desktop. For inability to use UEFI or even mixed CSM - only Legacy - with this card I need to blame bios manufacturer (Asus P8P67 Deluxe).

What I really lack with blob is nice high resolution Linux console framebuffer. Envy of all Intel powered laptops.
                  Last edited by reavertm; 22 July 2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X