NVIDIA Firmware Blobs Get Updated To Help Some Pascal GPUs With Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Firmware Blobs Get Updated To Help Some Pascal GPUs With Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA Firmware Blobs Get Updated To Help Some Pascal GPUs With Nouveau

An updated firmware configuration should help some GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" users with their limited open-source driver support, but the situation remains a mess. Besides the fact of being binary blobs, it's more complicated this time around with the interfaces changing for what is expected by the Nouveau DRM kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    But if/when NVIDIA will help straight out this situation remains to be seen.
    The answer is "never". No matter what we do, NVIDIA isn't willing to change its closed-source game.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      The answer is "never". No matter what we do, NVIDIA isn't willing to change its closed-source game.
      Eh, I'd rather say "not in the foreseeable future". Nvidia will take the path of least resistance and most profitability. Although not often, Nvidia has made contributions to Nouveau for Tegra. I'm sure they did this because they realize that Linux is a decent sized marketshare for their development platforms, but, not large enough for them to create a fresh new blob for it. So, since Nouveau already had a head-start, it makes sense Nvidia would pitch in wherever necessary for that.

So what this means is if their desktop GPUs are losing enough Linux sales due to their poor regard for open-source demands, I'm sure they will start contributing more toward Nouveau. But as it stands right now, they know people are not buying their products due to their open-source efforts (or lack thereof) and their sales are strong enough that you couldn't convince them otherwise. This is not going to change any time soon, but, it's not an impossibility, hence me saying "not in the foreseeable future".

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It will when Intel or AMD offer competitive solutions. AMD's open source driver still can't compete with Nvidia's binary in terms of hw video decoding, speed etc and despite all these years AMD's open source driver can't beat its own closed source driver in all areas. When this changes I'll surely move to AMD, or Intel. Keep in mind we use Nvidia not because Nvidia is terrorizing us into using its products.

Comment

I do have some big hopes for Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            AMD's open source driver still can't compete with Nvidia's binary in terms of hw video decoding
            How would that be the case? Are you aware that Polaris simply lacks VP9 support in hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              So what this means is if their desktop GPUs are losing enough Linux sales due to their poor regard for open-source demands, I'm sure they will start contributing more toward Nouveau.
              They won't. Let me quote this:

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              desktop
              Even if they lose 100% of their desktop Linux users, they won't open-source anything since over 95% of their sales are to Windows users, so it's not that much of a loss for them.
              What would make more sense is if they lose a notable amount of their workstation users, but that's not gonna happen as workstation users will demand "certified" drivers and related, which means proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by win32pro View Post
                I do have some big hopes for Intel.
                Intel GPU with good performance and unlocked vGPU GVT-g support (in another words - VM with native DX11/12 support) - it would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  AMD's open source driver still can't compete with Nvidia's binary in terms of hw video decoding
                  More like AMD's hardware can't compete with NVIDIA's in terms of video decoding/encoding. Where's my 4:4:4?

Comment

AMD has followed the FOSS route for quite some years by now.
                    Maybe it's time to draw a conclusion.
                    What issues did AMD face by opening up the documentation and provide FOSS drivers for their GPUs?

I don't see what's keeping Nvidia from following that route.
                    What's there to fear?

Comment

Working...
                    X