Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releasing Quake II RTX Open-Source In Two Weeks

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releasing Quake II RTX Open-Source In Two Weeks

NVIDIA announced the EGX platform from Computex 2019 for accelerating AI at the edge. But if that news doesn't interest you, they also announced in June will be the formal Quake II RTX ray-traced game port release and will be open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks pretty good, although it seems that it's a bit too bright now. At least judging from the sample comparisons they provide in that video.

Comment

Looking forward to the community adding support for video cards from other vendors.

Comment

I wish the owners of Quake II would release the whole game as free. It is so old now. The game engine that powers the game is open source, but I wish the whole game was free.

Comment

Why does NVIDIA always have to do something good, but equalize it with something bad?!

Oh come on don't make me fight you again
          Last edited by tildearrow; 28 May 2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I'd love to see a path-traced version of Darkplaces. I always considered Quake 2 to be one of the worst games from id, especially the PC version. I guess my opinion isn't popular, but I still think that Quake 1 would be a better fit to show off fancy lighting effects.

Comment

Say Counter- Strike 1.5 rtx ray- trace and I'm breaking the bank :-).
              Honestly the best shooter ever.

Comment

I think it's great, I will run out immediately and buy an RTX (the cheapest of which costs about $350) so that I can play 3 levels of a 22 year old game with dated graphics.

I think it speaks volumes about NVIDIA's RTX technology when the best selling point they can muster up is the above statement.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I wish the owners of Quake II would release the whole game as free. It is so old now. The game engine that powers the game is open source, but I wish the whole game was free.
                  I want an Astom Martin Le Mans ..., It is so old now...

Comment

Originally posted by wpupkin View Post

I want an Astom Martin Le Mans ..., It is so old now...
                    There is a difference between a physical goods consisting of materials, and a piece of old software that is free to infinitely duplicate and that is no longer commercially viable and sold on the market.

Comment

Working...
                    X