Open-Source NVIDIA X.Org Driver Updated With DP MST, DRI3 Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA X.Org Driver Updated With DP MST, DRI3 Improvements

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA X.Org Driver Updated With DP MST, DRI3 Improvements

Longtime open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" developer Ilia Mirkin has released xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.16 as the latest version of this X.Org DDX driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not much fun without reclocking. 😢
    No reclocking means slow performance.

Comment

I don't mind the low clock speeds; they are fast enough to run a desktop environment without any slowdown.

What I need from the Nouveau devs is for them to get the driver working properly. Currently, Nouveau only works in Gnome Wayland.

Trying to use it with Plasma Wayland causes the system to lock up immediately after the KDE splash screen is displayed. When using it on Weston (v3), it doesn't draw GTK3 windows under XWayland, which makes it completely unusable. Lastly, Nouveau with Weston (v5) freezes the instantly upon loading the compositor.

I sincerely hope that a fresh late-2019 / early-2020 distribution will at least have Nouveau + Mesa at a state where I can use it to run Gnome Wayland, Plasma Wayland and Weston properly. Really not asking for much here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        I don't mind the low clock speeds; they are fast enough to run a desktop environment without any slowdown.

What I need from the Nouveau devs is for them to get the driver working properly. Currently, Nouveau only works in Gnome Wayland.

Trying to use it with Plasma Wayland causes the system to lock up immediately after the KDE splash screen is displayed. When using it on Weston (v3), it doesn't draw GTK3 windows under XWayland, which makes it completely unusable. Lastly, Nouveau with Weston (v5) freezes the instantly upon loading the compositor.

I sincerely hope that a fresh late-2019 / early-2020 distribution will at least have Nouveau + Mesa at a state where I can use it to run Gnome Wayland, Plasma Wayland and Weston properly. Really not asking for much here.
        Would it not be easier to either use the Prop. driver or get a AMD card?
        Reading the problems you're having seems a long wait for fixes that might be done in a year as well as hassle.
        Last edited by pete910; 29 January 2019, 11:12 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Updated in #t2sde: https://t2sde.org/packages/xf86-video-nouveau I hope I can re-use some nouveau bits for the PS3 RSX code I'm working on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NazUnD_u8

Comment

this driver without nvidia help is only to wait untill you install non free driver, nothing more

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              this driver without nvidia help is only to wait untill you install non free driver, nothing more
              Actually, nowadays Nouveau is the only option if running on dated but still capable hardware like my GeForce 8800 GTS 512; especially on a rolling-release distribution like openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Also, just getting rid of xf86-video-nouveau is also an option, since the modesetting driver + GLAMOR acceleration works quite well with X.Org Server v1.20.3 these days.

Comment

I'm having some issues with Sleep/wake support on Geforce 5XX series hardware using Nouveau. I'd like to help get that fixed. I'm just using the card in a fileserver for accelerated X11 support.

Comment

Working...
                X