No announcement yet.

Nouveau Open-Source Driver Will Now Work With NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti On Linux 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Open-Source Driver Will Now Work With NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti On Linux 5.0

Phoronix: Nouveau Open-Source Driver Will Now Work With NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti On Linux 5.0

Among the many Linux 5.0 kernel features is initial open-source NVIDIA driver support for the latest-generation Turing graphics processors. Missed out on during the Linux 5.0 merge window was "TU102" support but now that is coming down as a fix for the 5.0 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does it stuck on 3.0 opengl as the previous release?

Comment

I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that NVIDIA refuses to release those fucking firmware blobs when you can extract them from their Windows drivers. This doesn't make any fucking sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Michael's answer: Before getting too excited, as outlined previously, this initial Turing open-source support is just good for kernel mode-setting. Turing GPUs at least can have KMS and run at the monitor's preferred resolution so it's better than nothing, but there is not yet any hardware acceleration support. Nouveau is blocked from providing any Turing hardware acceleration until more reverse engineering but more pressing is for NVIDIA to release the signed firmware images for Turing, which has been required since the GTX 900 Maxwell days due to heightened firmware security. Until that point, OpenGL acceleration falls back to the software, e.g. LLVMpipe.

My answer: In software development we have learned to work with the various definitions of "done". I guess same goes for the word "work" in this context.

Comment

According to Mesamatrix (https://mesamatrix.net), LLVMpipe is roughly limited to OpenGL 3.3. As it's a software implementation, it's very slow compared to hardware-accelerated OpenGL.

Comment

This is stuck at OpenGL 0.0 version, since GPU do nothing there

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

According to Mesamatrix (https://mesamatrix.net), LLVMpipe is roughly limited to OpenGL 3.3. As it's a software implementation, it's very slow compared to hardware-accelerated OpenGL.
              For some reason I can't select your link.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that NVIDIA refuses to release those fucking firmware blobs when you can extract them from their Windows drivers. This doesn't make any fucking sense.
                I get your frustrations, it makes no sense to me either but do you really need to swear on a public forum so much ?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Their plan is working pretty well though, I have not seen ANY tool or script or tutorial to do so. Not even russians or east-european sites that rarely care about this stuff at all and haxxor everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X