Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Phoronix: Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Google developers working on the Chrome/Chromium web-browser have decided to blacklist the Nouveau driver from having GPU acceleration by default within their web-browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...isting-Nouveau

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by ihatemichael

Others won't do the same mistake, and you are a fucking moron.
    Are you going through a difficult phase in life? Can I help you in anyway?

Leave a comment:

• techzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    it'll alwaysd be unstable, so will the opensource ATI driver but then i could go further, the closed source drivers will always be unstable to,

You have no idea what you're talking about, AMDGPU has been solid.
    I have a Radeon Pro WX 5100, in my Fedora workstation, and it's been pretty awesome.
    Last edited by techzilla; 01-07-2019, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Good job, I hope others will do the same. Nouveau has caused many problems on multiple NV108 (GK208) and one NV138 (GP108) card. The cards are mostly used for web browsing and coding. I blacklisted nouveau in favour of software rendering for all the systems. No more system crashes was experienced, but not exactly smooth sailing due to software rendering being painfully slow in some cases. Buying cheap resulted in being expensive to maintain, I won't make this mistake again.

I have not had any problems the past 4 years with open source AMD and Intel drivers. No problems with proprietary drivers in Windows for AMD and Nvidia either. I was lucky enough to miss Nvidia Driver 364.47 update that effected some people I know.

Google's top suggestion/autocomplete to "modprobe blacklist" is "modprobe blacklist nouveau"

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    Originally posted by linner View Post
    Nouveau and all of the AMD drivers suck hard-core, practically unusable. The nVIdia proprietary driver is not perfect but it's the best thing out there and always has been.
    not when you want to put linux on 4 year old pc, with equally old nvidia card. it works well on windows, because nvidia driver still works there. nouveau is just too slow even on nvidia hardware that old.

Leave a comment:

• DIRT
    replied
    So how will their desktop render without a basic accelerated driver?

Also oss amd drivers are nice!

Leave a comment:

• mulenmar
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post

Google Chrome. What else are you going to use to watch youtubes vp8/vp9 codecs? H264ify does not cut it. Firefox can't handle youtube, unless you love stuttering. There is plenty to not like about Chrome but it has its uses.
    I have never had a problem using YouTube inside Firefox since the former dropped Flash.

As for Nouveau, it worked perfectly on my GT430.

Tip: Blacklist and rmmod it, or reboot, before trying to install the blob, or you'll have to spend a few hours chasing down why you get a black screen on boot, then looking up how to manually trigger DKMS to build the shim module.

I'm sticking to AMD and Intel gpus since that GTX950 purchase, it wasn't worth the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Okay, but I never implied that the reason is mining. Computer parts break even in normal use sometimes. It's good that you know what you are talking about then. Have the problems you see with the software you use been reported to developers?
    You guys lost track with that talk..

Initially one poster bitched about quality of open-source GPU drivers in general, using his AMD former mining cards as an example, speaking about persistent artifacts etc.. another told him that his cards were damaged.. etc

To make it short..

Mining: AMD cards were overclocked - raw power mattered, NVidias were underclocked - efficiency mattered.
    AMD cards suffered most, because these were overclocked (more raw performance) and this would long-term damage more stressed components. And interestingly - card could be already faulty (producing artifacts on display) but still keep mining.. so claiming that "my card is okay, it would still mine coins" is meaningless.

Truth is, even Nvidia's cards get damaged by mining. Reason: Electrolytic capacitors have certain final life span (like 2000h working hours, 10 000 working hours - depending on quality) but having worked these hours, statistically amount of failures would start to increase very fast. And yeah, gfx card PCB's have electrolytic caps on'em..

Manufacturers never envisioned cards being used 24/7/365 so gfx cards aren't produced like enterprise electronics. Cards are still made using consumer-grade components but get abused like enterprise equipment. So, warranty claims are pretty common among miners.

Enough said, I NEVER buy used mining card, be it however cheap.
    Last edited by aht0; 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotMine999
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Nouveau is quite usable for me and my second-hand GT610.

Sure, can't reclock, no power management. But even at its lowest speeds it accelerates my Gnome Wayland and Weston environments well enough.

Does this blacklist only apply to Chrome, or is Chromium affected as well? Because I have no way to tell.

I have found the "nouveau" driver to be totally useless when trying to run KODI; too much tearing, delays in rendering, and so on. GT710 in my case.

I change out the "nouveau" drivers for the latest Nvidia drivers available in Debian "Buster", and it uses DKMS to install it, and video displays just fine at 1080p. Even 4K playback is fine. Be thing of all, "jump forward" and "jump back" features of KODI work without delays in rendering.

Leave a comment:

• NotMine999
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

No problems when you can do other things while git is cloning and ryzen 5 1600 is compiling my custom kernel in a minute. You can play games and listen to the music at same time. Do the same without X running while installing nvidia blob. Firmware files comes from freedesktop git and everything is documented. Nvidia does not even tell what kernels are compatible. Closed source drivers cheat in benchmarks too. Communist should inspect and fine nvidia instead of VolksWagen.

The Amd wip kernel is updated every week, clone it at Saturday. Rolling back is easy with grub. Rolling back with nvidia drivers is a way more complicated process.
    Not sure what's wrong with your system that you can't run X while installing the Nvidia proprietary stuff.

My systems (Intel J5005 SoC-based) can do it just fine, and running KODI no less, using Debian-supplied kernels and Debian's DKMS package of Nvidia drivers. I run Debian "Buster".

Perhaps I should make a housecall and fix your computers for you FOR FREE?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X