Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    It appears your graphic card is dying due to possibly overheating from mining and needs replacement.
    No, that is not uncommon. The problem with nouveau is that it is almost perfect for some NVidia hardware, but unstable for others. So applying your experience with one says very little for others. I can use it on old hardware where it can be better than the proprietary drivers, but it always has tons of glitches and crashes when I use on newer hardware, if it can even boot (though the latter it typically because they haven't been given the firmware by NVidia, so no fault of their own).

Comment

I think we already did a similar blacklisting in QtWebEngine, due to more extensive multithreading than Chome (running Qt and Chromium OpenGL rendering in two separate GPU threads) , we hit even more issues with nouveau.

The change was probably https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/208664/ so changing it from only blacklisting old drivers to blacklisting all nouveau driver versions. That suggest Chrome did the same, they used to only blacklist old drivers, and still had issues, which led them to blacklist all versions.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
        It's just amazing how you trying put blame for your overheated hardware on AMD when you're likely have issues with memory corruption or BGA degradation.
        Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        It appears your graphic card is dying due to possibly overheating from mining and needs replacement.
        Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        I think you might have a broken card. My friend had problems with his on Windows (he's not using Linux on that particular computer) and it seems to be the card. I think he ran some memory test which told that there is an issue. The card also continued to behave poorly on another system.
        Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
        Have you checked that the card's fan is fine? That happened to a friend some time ago, and the problem was that the fan was blocked and didn't rotate.
        Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
        All that sounds to hardware problem...

Simply, no. People are so crazy when it comes to understanding mining. Mining is a game of effiency. You would not want to overheat or damage a card in any way. All of my cards were run UNDERvolted and UNDERclocked. These are 350 watt cards and they never pulled more than 150 watts. They also had massive active cooling on them. They ran at 40C, always. I have tons of these cards from all sorts of brands, some of which were never used. They all behave the same way, they can't all be broken and there is no reason they would be broken anyway. I've seen the same thing on other people's machines when running the software I run.

Comment

On my old laptop running Arch, ehem... Archtop... at least it boots with Nouveau which is more than I can say for the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
            Simply, no. People are so crazy when it comes to understanding mining. Mining is a game of effiency. You would not want to overheat or damage a card in any way. All of my cards were run UNDERvolted and UNDERclocked. These are 350 watt cards and they never pulled more than 150 watts. They also had massive active cooling on them. They ran at 40C, always. I have tons of these cards from all sorts of brands, some of which were never used. They all behave the same way, they can't all be broken and there is no reason they would be broken anyway. I've seen the same thing on other people's machines when running the software I run.
            Okay, but I never implied that the reason is mining. Computer parts break even in normal use sometimes. It's good that you know what you are talking about then. Have the problems you see with the software you use been reported to developers?

Comment

The open-source AMD drivers are fine last time I tried them (ages ago). The problems occur when AMD releases new hardware like the RX590 and the drivers don't fully support it or have been tested on it yet. We will likely get a whole slew of stability issues with Vega II and Navi cards on release also!

Nouveau team should just communicate better with google and address the bugs they have issues with pertaining webgl feature.

Comment

From my experience, Nouveau drivers are superior to proprietary drivers for Nvidia. While the performance is awful in many cases, they at least follow standards (like KMS) and stay up to date with new releases of Xorg (Nvidia sometimes doesn't feel like staying on top of updates even for GPUs that are still supported). Switching between resolutions is WAY faster than with proprietary drivers. Some graphical glitches can pop up once in a while (and I feel like I should report some of them). I've had some crashes related to Chromium which required power cycling the computer to resolve, and at one point they happened to me pretty much daily, but I don't remember whether I was using proprietary drivers or not.

I've developed a habit of forcing hardware acceleration in browsers on every computer I use, and the worst offender seems to be Intel with their Coffee Lake iGPUs, as I would end up getting screen corruption pretty much right away after I started Chromium, so I had to disable the override there.

I think the best solution would be to let people tweak the override on first launch and revert it when they run into trouble, and maybe even use telemetry to create a compatibility list rather than relying on bug reports to maintain the blacklist.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                  Okay, but I never implied that the reason is mining. Computer parts break even in normal use sometimes. It's good that you know what you are talking about then. Have the problems you see with the software you use been reported to developers?
                  Yeah, I didn't mean to single anyone out. I stopped reporting bugs to GPU-related things years ago. If I'm facing most normal problems then I fix them myself (I develop CAD and other graphics software). Otherwise if it's an issue I can't fix then it's a very difficult problem that they usually can't fix it either. I have outstanding bug reports from years ago, untouched and still there. I gave up trying.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Have you mined and realized the cost of of your computing system? If you want to get rich bitcoins, you should have bought them when the price was low and sell when the price is high. Bitcoin mining is a crazy and risky business.
                  I never said I mined bitcoin. I have never mined bitcoin. I have been a (real) futures trader and developing market software for ages. I understand net profit which is why I say the game is about efficiency. At the original (when I was mining) bitcoin prices I made 10x my hardware investment and paid off all the hardware. I kept the rest of the profit in BTC. When BTC hit $18k I cashed out even more making 50x my initial hardware investment.

I had done all the calculations and being a software developer I had some tricks up my sleeves. The only reason I got in to mining was because it was free money for basically doing nothing. You'd have to be an idiot to pass on free money.

I don't mine any more because it's no longer profitable. I just trade.
                  Last edited by linner; 06 January 2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I never said I mined bitcoin. I have never mined bitcoin.
                    At the original (when I was mining) bitcoin
                    Alright then

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                      Alright then

Read carefully. I said "At the original bitcoin prices ..." When I was mining coins. Those coins were not bitcoin. Though I traded them for BTC. You don't use a GPU to mine BTC.

Comment

Working...
                      X