Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the problem is outdated mesa versions, why not blacklist those outdated mesa versions instead of blacklisting the driver?

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      Nouveau and all of the AMD drivers suck hard-core, practically unusable. The nVIdia proprietary driver is not perfect but it's the best thing out there and always has been.
      I've been running the AMD drivers very successfully one a pretty wide range of hardware for some time now.
      The nVidia proprietary drivers do work, but force you to stick with certain older kernel and X releases.

My experience with nouveau has been almost entirely negative however.

Comment

Same for Windows using the proprietary AMD stuff. So buggy, glitchy, crashy, just terrible.

I wouldn't even be running AMD but I have a whole bunch of AMD cards left over from the old mining days.
        It's just amazing how you trying put blame for your overheated hardware on AMD when you're likely have issues with memory corruption or BGA degradation.

I rarely use my RX580 on Linux these days and mostly through DRI_PRIME, but on Windows / Mac VMs it's work flawlessly.

Comment

Watching a ChiCom at Google blacklist the only open source video driver platform is so deliciously fantastic that it might actually wake up a few lefties for once. How's that CoC taste now?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            the only open source video driver platform
            amazing. the least wrong part of your comment is still 100% wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Nouveau stands still to 30 opengl. It's a shame!
              Huh? https://mesamatrix.net/

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Proprietary drivers sucks, you need to patch for new kernels or wait several weeks, no easy way to roll back, no X running while installing, no way to fix bugs by yourself. AMD open source drivers runs fine and beats nvidia blobs, see phoronix benchmarks.
                Sure, with AMD opensource driver you just need to wait several weeks, then to compile amd's wip kernel from developer's git and download some firmwares from unknown ftps and noone wil guide you during process. Looks like you have a memory of goldfish.

Comment

I guess this decision is based on outdated open source drivers used in the Google Linux distro used internally within the company.

Sure Nouveau is unstable on some hardware, but then there are a lot of driver bug workarounds that they've added for Android, Windows, Mac OS etc. sometimes even for specific hardware and devices, specific driver versions. So it's not like they can't do that for Nouveau (or accept contributions for the same).

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                    Watching a ChiCom at Google blacklist the only open source video driver platform is so deliciously fantastic that it might actually wake up a few lefties for once. How's that CoC taste now?
                    Can you rephrase it with more racism?

Comment

Is Wayland more stable that X? I'm running it on X and it glitches out all the time.
                      Wayland as a protocol is stable and Gnome using it via toolkit. Only applications need take advantage of that protocol otherwise runs via xwayland. Firefox on Wayland of Fedora (also Nightly Firefox) from which I use runs smoothly with graphics compositing set to OpenGL instead of basic and fully supports touchscreen.

For example I have to restart Firefox several times a day because the graphics start glitching all over the screen. My nVidia machines running the nVidia driver never have anything like that.
                      It appears your graphic card is dying due to possibly overheating from mining and needs replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X