Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linner View Post
    Nouveau and all of the AMD drivers suck hard-core, practically unusable. The nVIdia proprietary driver is not perfect but it's the best thing out there and always has been.
    Running amdpgu drive on Gnome Wayland stable on daily basis debunk the "practically unusable" claim. Nouveau development is held hostage by nVidia attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Running amdpgu drive on Gnome Wayland stable on daily basis debunk the "practically unusable" claim. Nouveau development is held hostage by nVidia attitude.
      Is Wayland more stable that X? I'm running it on X and it glitches out all the time. For example I have to restart Firefox several times a day because the graphics start glitching all over the screen. My nVidia machines running the nVidia driver never have anything like that.

Same for Windows using the proprietary AMD stuff. So buggy, glitchy, crashy, just terrible.

I wouldn't even be running AMD but I have a whole bunch of AMD cards left over from the old mining days.

Comment

from the blokes that decided to support apple's developement of yet another graphic api ( becuase they dont want vulkan to be used on the web ) and to spread the fallacies that justify it , now comes this

Comment

linner - Intel GPU drivers are also pretty awesome, and just work.

Comment

...except that some people had some issues with indeterminate hardware and indeterminate versions of mesa.
            Well, people should learn to use stable kernels and mesas But not even first releases of these stables

On Debian Buster and AMDGPU i am using 4.19.13 kernel and Mesa 18.2.8, LLVM 7.0.1 of course... and none probs there

But even if these ultra stables are broken for somebody then i guess Google have right here

edit: Remember that Google uses Debian testing so Buster as base for their internal gLinux distro and they do care about longterm 4.19 kernel also, so if that recent ultra stable combo is still broken here for somebody (and even if by switching to Mesa 18.3.1 is still borked and doesn't fix problems) they get opinion and go to blacklisting as final measure... no one care there if git main non-versions of drivers are broken or working somewhere

Of course such an non average Joe user, could do random gitorous and variabiles... but who cares about that
            Last edited by dungeon; 05 January 2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

I also have been using an AMD with no issues. I wonder what issues the original poster had?
              edit I also have Nvidia in a Windows System, I had tried using Nvidia on Linux a while back but too many headaches
              Last edited by Machine; 05 January 2019, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Guest Intel drivers are crap.
                they crash all the time and performance is just non existent.
                At least performance might improve when Intel switches to Mesa... But still the core render stuff is crap

Comment

Nouveau and all of the AMD drivers suck hard-core, practically unusable. The nVIdia proprietary driver is not perfect but it's the best thing out there and always has been.
                  The nvidia proprietary driver is great if you love booting to a black screen.

It has good gaming performance, but outside of that it's brittle and breaks your system if you even look at it wrong

The best gpu drivers on linux are intel. They 'just work' better than anything else.

Comment

You clearly have not used OSS AMD drivers in many years. In a word, excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by boombatower View Post
                      You clearly have not used OSS AMD drivers in many years. In a word, excellent.
                      I'm using it right now and there is a flickering checkerboard glitching square about 200x200 pixels on two of my monitors. This machine also has a nVIdia card driving two other monitors, everything perfect there.

About 5 minutes ago a Windows VM using a passthrough AMD GPU just bluescreened running some simple OpenGL code I'm working on. I've rebooted the same machine with a nVidia card passed through, works great. AMD sucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X