Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Phoronix: Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Google developers working on the Chrome/Chromium web-browser have decided to blacklist the Nouveau driver from having GPU acceleration by default within their web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it'll alwaysd be unstable, so will the opensource ATI driver but then i could go further, the closed source drivers will always be unstable to,

Comment

Is there a bit missing here dude?
      Of the bug reports for Nouveau with WebGL / GPU acceleration, it mostly seems to stem from users on distributions with outdated Mesa builds... The vastly outdated Mesa builds.
      Last bit doesn't make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
        Is there a bit missing here dude?

Last bit doesn't make sense?
        It does, pretty much how we say "good... good....."

Comment

They might have a point, when the nouveau dev has this to say:

I did run the WebGL CTS suite, but that resulted in some
          hangs from the the max-texture-size-equivalent test, and some browser-level weirdness after some tests where later tests all fail (due to what I have to assume is a browser bug). I don't think I managed to properly track down the true reason why.
          Seems like he should at least be able to successfully run the test suite before he complains too much - at least for tests that pass on other drivers. It seems like he hasn't even tested to see if other drivers pass or figured out why the tests are failing.

Comment

“Among one option being considered by longtime Nouveau developer Ilia Mirkin is to "fake" the OpenGL string when queried from Chrome/Chromium so it could mirror what the NVIDIA proprietary driver reports, which Google developers have warned against.”

Or at least maybe make it not crash when you run the CTS, then maybe it actually works. It doesn't much help anyone to have acceleration if it crashes regularly enough to warrant the accel blacklist.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It does, pretty much how we say "good... good....."
              No, in English it really doesn't make enough sense the way it's written. It just reads really weirdly.

Comment

Nouveau stands still to 30 opengl. It's a shame!

Comment

Nouveau and all of the AMD drivers suck hard-core, practically unusable. The nVIdia proprietary driver is not perfect but it's the best thing out there and always has been.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post

No, in English it really doesn't make enough sense the way it's written. It just reads really weirdly.
                    OK I missed a typo then.

Comment

Working...
                    X