Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I guess this decision is based on outdated open source drivers used in the Google Linux distro used internally within the company.
    It is not it seems Just that some users are fine with corruptions, while others are not

This issue has nothing to do with chromium as it happens all the time with any 3D gfx in a DE. This is not a new Nouveau issue and has been plaguing the OSS driver for many many many many years. Completely reproducible on a GTX460 and a GTX 750 Ti. Please remove the blacklist as all Nouveau users expect this corrupted behaviour. If at all possible it may be worthwhile to let users know it doesn’t have to be this bad if they flip to the binary driver. Perhaps a pop up letting them know?
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...?id=876523#c43

That sounds like - some users like vsync off tearing while other don't so we can't judge there or is this worse than that?. So seems here some like to ignore nouveau corruptions while some don't

Some hate tearing, others hate stutter and then judder... I know some hate vsync because of possible stutter/judder...etc.

But first time i see that some user is fine and expect corruptions. If he is developer then that would be OK, but user to be fine with corruptions i dunno...

Well, not ALL nouveau users expect corruptions... some seems like to file bugs about that at wrong places
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 January 2019, 03:33 AM.

Comment

by the time nouveau supports clock adjustment on maxwell, we'll already be using the rtx 5080 ti... so yeah, nouveau sucks. either open source the drivers completely or go back to binary drivers.

Comment

Missing automatic power management on hardware which doesn't need signed firmware is my only gripe with nouveau. Why not finish PM support on these hardware? it would make a lot of nvidia gpu users happy for sure, not like everyone already migrated to maxwell+ gpus.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
          Chromium is spyware made by fascists. I'll never use that crap again.
          Google Chrome. What else are you going to use to watch youtubes vp8/vp9 codecs? H264ify does not cut it. Firefox can't handle youtube, unless you love stuttering. There is plenty to not like about Chrome but it has its uses.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post

Is Wayland more stable that X? I'm running it on X and it glitches out all the time. For example I have to restart Firefox several times a day because the graphics start glitching all over the screen. My nVidia machines running the nVidia driver never have anything like that.

Same for Windows using the proprietary AMD stuff. So buggy, glitchy, crashy, just terrible.

I wouldn't even be running AMD but I have a whole bunch of AMD cards left over from the old mining days.
            I have been playing the Witcher3 with the RADV AMD Vulkan driver for a couple of months on an RX580 on 18.04, Xorg+Wine+DXVK. It is near flawless.

I have also been working on accelerated KDE Plasma 5 desktop with Xorg on a HD7750 (3 monitors) for ~a year without any major hiccups.

I can't say about Windows but the OSS drivers for Linux are more than good enough for me.

Comment

Is Wayland more stable that X? I'm running it on X and it glitches out all the time. For example I have to restart Firefox several times a day because the graphics start glitching all over the screen. My nVidia machines running the nVidia driver never have anything like that.

Same for Windows using the proprietary AMD stuff. So buggy, glitchy, crashy, just terrible.
              I think you might have a broken card. My friend had problems with his on Windows (he's not using Linux on that particular computer) and it seems to be the card. I think he ran some memory test which told that there is an issue. The card also continued to behave poorly on another system.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

amazing. the least wrong part of your comment is still 100% wrong.
                I am quite sure they are referring to the lack of binary blobs. Nouveau compiles a clean-room engineered firmware from scratch, IIRC, which could be argued as being more free.

Comment

My intel GPU runs fine on open source drivers...

Comment

I wouldn't even be running AMD but I have a whole bunch of AMD cards left over from the old mining days.
                    Have you checked that the card's fan is fine? That happened to a friend some time ago, and the problem was that the fan was blocked and didn't rotate.

Comment

I'm using it right now and there is a flickering checkerboard glitching square about 200x200 pixels on two of my monitors. This machine also has a nVIdia card driving two other monitors, everything perfect there.

About 5 minutes ago a Windows VM using a passthrough AMD GPU just bluescreened running some simple OpenGL code I'm working on. I've rebooted the same machine with a nVidia card passed through, works great. AMD sucks.
                      All that sounds to hardware problem...

Comment

Working...
                      X