Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Devs Call Open-Source NVIDIA Driver Unstable, Nouveau Blacklisted By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linner
    replied
    Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
    It's just amazing how you trying put blame for your overheated hardware on AMD when you're likely have issues with memory corruption or BGA degradation.
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    It appears your graphic card is dying due to possibly overheating from mining and needs replacement.
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    I think you might have a broken card. My friend had problems with his on Windows (he's not using Linux on that particular computer) and it seems to be the card. I think he ran some memory test which told that there is an issue. The card also continued to behave poorly on another system.
    Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    Have you checked that the card's fan is fine? That happened to a friend some time ago, and the problem was that the fan was blocked and didn't rotate.
    Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    All that sounds to hardware problem...

Simply, no. People are so crazy when it comes to understanding mining. Mining is a game of effiency. You would not want to overheat or damage a card in any way. All of my cards were run UNDERvolted and UNDERclocked. These are 350 watt cards and they never pulled more than 150 watts. They also had massive active cooling on them. They ran at 40C, always. I have tons of these cards from all sorts of brands, some of which were never used. They all behave the same way, they can't all be broken and there is no reason they would be broken anyway. I've seen the same thing on other people's machines when running the software I run.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    I think we already did a similar blacklisting in QtWebEngine, due to more extensive multithreading than Chome (running Qt and Chromium OpenGL rendering in two separate GPU threads) , we hit even more issues with nouveau.

The change was probably https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/208664/ so changing it from only blacklisting old drivers to blacklisting all nouveau driver versions. That suggest Chrome did the same, they used to only blacklist old drivers, and still had issues, which led them to blacklist all versions.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    It appears your graphic card is dying due to possibly overheating from mining and needs replacement.
    No, that is not uncommon. The problem with nouveau is that it is almost perfect for some NVidia hardware, but unstable for others. So applying your experience with one says very little for others. I can use it on old hardware where it can be better than the proprietary drivers, but it always has tons of glitches and crashes when I use on newer hardware, if it can even boot (though the latter it typically because they haven't been given the firmware by NVidia, so no fault of their own).

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    Originally posted by linner View Post

I'm using it right now and there is a flickering checkerboard glitching square about 200x200 pixels on two of my monitors. This machine also has a nVIdia card driving two other monitors, everything perfect there.

About 5 minutes ago a Windows VM using a passthrough AMD GPU just bluescreened running some simple OpenGL code I'm working on. I've rebooted the same machine with a nVidia card passed through, works great. AMD sucks.
    All that sounds to hardware problem...

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied

Is Wayland more stable that X? I'm running it on X and it glitches out all the time. For example I have to restart Firefox several times a day because the graphics start glitching all over the screen. My nVidia machines running the nVidia driver never have anything like that.

Same for Windows using the proprietary AMD stuff. So buggy, glitchy, crashy, just terrible.

I wouldn't even be running AMD but I have a whole bunch of AMD cards left over from the old mining days.
    Have you checked that the card's fan is fine? That happened to a friend some time ago, and the problem was that the fan was blocked and didn't rotate.

Leave a comment:

• moonshadow565
    replied
    My intel GPU runs fine on open source drivers...

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

amazing. the least wrong part of your comment is still 100% wrong.
    I am quite sure they are referring to the lack of binary blobs. Nouveau compiles a clean-room engineered firmware from scratch, IIRC, which could be argued as being more free.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Is Wayland more stable that X? I'm running it on X and it glitches out all the time. For example I have to restart Firefox several times a day because the graphics start glitching all over the screen. My nVidia machines running the nVidia driver never have anything like that.

Same for Windows using the proprietary AMD stuff. So buggy, glitchy, crashy, just terrible.
    I think you might have a broken card. My friend had problems with his on Windows (he's not using Linux on that particular computer) and it seems to be the card. I think he ran some memory test which told that there is an issue. The card also continued to behave poorly on another system.

Leave a comment:

• asoltesz
    replied

I wouldn't even be running AMD but I have a whole bunch of AMD cards left over from the old mining days.
    I have been playing the Witcher3 with the RADV AMD Vulkan driver for a couple of months on an RX580 on 18.04, Xorg+Wine+DXVK. It is near flawless.

I have also been working on accelerated KDE Plasma 5 desktop with Xorg on a HD7750 (3 monitors) for ~a year without any major hiccups.

I can't say about Windows but the OSS drivers for Linux are more than good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by ihatemichael
    Chromium is spyware made by fascists. I'll never use that crap again.
    Google Chrome. What else are you going to use to watch youtubes vp8/vp9 codecs? H264ify does not cut it. Firefox can't handle youtube, unless you love stuttering. There is plenty to not like about Chrome but it has its uses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X