No announcement yet.

The Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Linux Driver Performance At The End Of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Linux Driver Performance At The End Of 2018

Phoronix: The Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Linux Driver Performance At The End Of 2018

As it's been a while since last looking at the NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Linux OpenGL driver performance, here's a look at the current performance difference as the end of the year quickly approaches. This benchmarking roundabout features multiple generations of GeForce GPUs while testing with the NVIDIA 415 proprietary driver against the Nouveau stack on Linux 4.19 and Mesa 19.0-devel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Until NVIDIA releases the signed PMU firmware or the Nouveau developers achieve a workaround
    Am I missing something here, or even if Nvidia will release any firmware, is still won't help until someone finds an exploit and then finds a way to set the frequency? Here is the post from Ilia Mirkin which explains it. Is that explanation not up to date?
    Last edited by shmerl; 10 December 2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Sitll no automatic/dynamic re-clocking,
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      THe GTX 680 wasn't that far behind the binary driver
      Nouveau beating the official "unbeatable" NVIDIA driver in GeeXLab?! I can't believe this.

Comment

A noble endeavour for sure, but why any FOSS fan would choose nvidia here in 2018 is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          A noble endeavour for sure, but why any FOSS fan would choose nvidia here in 2018 is beyond me.
          In many cases, they have a nvidia GPU already. That does not mean they feel like buying new hw just because of their philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            In many cases, they have a nvidia GPU already.
            In decreasing number of cases though. GPUs are upgraded eventually, and new purchases are increasingly AMD.

Comment

Even Athlon 200GE APU beats big any newer, but not reclocked cards on nouveau

Obviosly people buying nvidia cards to use blobie of trust
              Last edited by dungeon; 10 December 2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                A lot of laptops have only nvidia card, in example mine hp elitebook 8770w have only nvidia's quadro k3000m, and while cpu have integrated gpu it is not wired.

In fact I haven't seen any laptops with AMD graphics for real while (beside Apple's).

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

A lot of laptops have only nvidia card, in example mine hp elitebook 8770w have only nvidia's quadro k3000m, and while cpu have integrated gpu it is not wired.
                  You can find laptops with AMD all the same. Just check before you buy.

Comment

This is a really sad state. The only Geforce cards I own are the dual Geforce GTX 660's I have in my workstation PC which doesn't play any games more demanding than Minecraft. What exactly is NVIDIA's problem anyway supplying the binaries needed?

Comment

Working...
                    X