Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Looks Like We Won't See An Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver This Year (Nouveau)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like We Won't See An Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver This Year (Nouveau)

Phoronix: It Looks Like We Won't See An Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver This Year (Nouveau)

While at the start of the year Nouveau developers expressed their hope to create a basic open-source NVIDIA Vulkan driver this calendar year, it doesn't look like it's panning out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That was a rethorical question, wasn't it?
    Signed Firmware

Comment

maybe systemd can include it in the next release ?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Let us know in the forums what you hope to see out of Nouveau / open-source NVIDIA in 2019.
        To be honest I don't have much hope on open-source NVIDIA. I could say anything, but it won't happen.

Nouveau is a big accomplishment considering NVIDIA's situation with open-source. The Nouveau guys try hard to do more, but are severely hindered by NVIDIA. So it's not their fault they can't deliver.

Comment

Also, we're in the last month of 2018, so it was expecting, I guess none was holding his breath hoping for a 2018 release.

Comment

inferior manufacturer, inferior driver

Comment

I wonder why companies like Red Hat don't step up their game and negotiate with nVidia to find some agreement on documentation and opening their driver.

karolherbst Could you enlighten us a litte?

Comment

Nouveau is dead anyway. Not even old 9400M has reclocking support and cannot be used meaningfully once Nvidia drops support for their 340xx legacy drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
                  I wonder why companies like Red Hat don't step up their game and negotiate with nVidia to find some agreement on documentation and opening their driver.
                  Back when RADV was first being developed, I was there asking "why not support Nouveau Vulkan instead, since AMD will have an open-source Vulkan driver anyway?" despite the fact I didn't even have a Linux system with Nvidia hardware. People told me to shut up. Now that we have AMDVLK and Nouveau is struggling to keep up, seems my point is more relevant than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post

karolherbst Could you enlighten us a litte?
                    sadly, it isn't that easy.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Back when RADV was first being developed, I was there asking "why not support Nouveau Vulkan instead, since AMD will have an open-source Vulkan driver anyway?" despite the fact I didn't even have a Linux system with Nvidia hardware. People told me to shut up. Now that we have AMDVLK and Nouveau is struggling to keep up, seems my point is more relevant than ever.
                    AMDVLK is pretty dead, just AMD doesn't accept it yet. AMDVLK is no community project, it's "we throw the source over the fence and deal with this" project. AMD should just move over to radv and learn how to do a proper open source project. (allthough to be fair, with the radeonsi inside mesa we kind of hoped that AMD knows how this works, apperantly, they don't)
                    Last edited by karolherbst; 06 December 2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X