• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    growing pressure from AMD
    Which pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by xpue View Post
      Which pressure?
      Linux market share. It's growing for AMD and dropping for Nvidia.

Comment

Did you see the RTX series reviews? Unless AMD pulls out a miracle with Navi, I don't see any growing pressure. Not on Windows and definitely not on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          Did you see the RTX series reviews?
          That card is not competing with AMD cards (yet). For competing hardware, Nvidia is continuously losing ground.

Comment

Did you see the RTX series reviews? Unless AMD pulls out a miracle with Navi, I don't see any growing pressure. Not on Windows and definitely not on Linux.
            You mean the one high-end Nvidia card that competes with another high-end Nvidia card for the high-end 4K market? That one? That's not AMD's competition. AMD's competition would be a 6GB 2060 RTX for $200-$250 in the 1080p to 1440p market. Midrange and lower, AMD has better stuff.

It isn't until you get to the 1070/Vega 56, upper midrange, that Nvidia takes the lead...and you'd still want the Vega if you're a Linux customer. For the average person using 1080p to 1440p, AMD is cheaper and better.

When AMD releases the RX 6XX line, or whatever true RX 5XX successors are called, with the same price range as the 500 series, that's when Nvidia needs to worry. The 580 is a much better card than the 1060 yet the 580 is usually $50 cheaper. Unless Nvidia has a 6GB 2060 up their sleeve in the sub $250 price range, AMD will have the advantage next year.

Comment

That card is not competing with AMD cards (yet). For competing hardware, Nvidia is continuously losing ground.
              You have to look at the bigger picture. It's not about the exact model reviewed (2080 Ti), it's about the general state of the underlying technology. It's about performance per watt. That's the reason why AMD's marketshare on notebooks and tablets is practically non existent.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RX580 and I desperately want AMD to bring about a more competitive market but it's not happening anytime soon unless Navi is a real miracle.

Comment

You have to look at the bigger picture. It's not about the exact model reviewed (2080 Ti), it's about the general state of the underlying technology. It's about performance per watt. That's the reason why AMD's marketshare on notebooks and tablets is practically non existent.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RX580 and I desperately want AMD to bring about a more competitive market but it's not happening anytime soon unless Navi is a real miracle.
                Don't forget that AMD has had almost the entire gaming console industry locked down, GPU and CPU, for one generation and we're going on two with the PS5 and XB2 both using AMD chips. That makes up for the notebook and tablet market. Zen, Threadripper, and Epyc are really helping them out on the desktop, server, and enthusiast markets.

As far as the rest of that, since the Coin/GPU boom died, AMD, for the most part, has gone back to having competitive prices and Nvidia stuff is still priced high. There's no reason the 1060 6GB should cost more than the RX 580 8GB right now, but it does. When Navi launches and we get midrange RX 580 replacements (you know we will because that's where AMD shines), the market will be very favoriable for AMD unless Nvidia drops a 2060 in the same $250 or lower price range. The CPU market is already favorable for AMD and should only be getting better. AMD caught Intel with their pants down.

Performance per watt isn't as big of a deal for their primary markets of consoles, desktops, servers, PC gamers, and Linux enthusiasts....we don't have battery life to worry about, just the power bill, and that can be mitigated or be made non-existent with solar and other green solutions.

Comment

You mean linux desktop market share? That's not the place where Nvidia is making money with Linux, thus they have little to loose with those. Little hint you might wan't to check for what is the OS that DGX-1 comes with. Or the OS of their current Tegra kits.

Comment

Where is that coming from? Nvidia is not even close to competing with them in integrated cases. AMD are making integrated APUs (Ryzen+Vega), and Nvidia are making what? If anything, Intel can be considered a competitor here, and Intel are now falling behind with AMD pushing into 7 nm while Intel can't keep up with 10 nm process.

As for competing with Nvidia in discrete cards, AMD are working on Arcturus architecture (something they labeled "super-SIMD") which should be their major step up in gaming performance per power specifically comparing to GCN generations. Same as Ryzen is for CPUs. So things are going to get interesting.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 24 October 2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Where is that coming from? Nvidia is not even close to competing with them in integrated cases. AMD are making integrated APUs (Ryzen+Vega), and Nvidia are making what? If anything, Intel can be considered a competitor here, and Intel are now falling behind with AMD pushing into 7 nm while Intel can't keep up with 10 nm process.
                      You didn't address my argument at all. I'm talking about the state of the underlying architectures. Being power inefficient is not just a disadvantage in notebooks but also for desktop GPUs. Currently AMD can't compete neither in the notebook GPU market nor in the desktop GPU market. The only segment they currently dominate GPU-wise is consoles. Me and some other folks on this forum buy AMD GPUs purely out of principle, not because they are better.

In your original comment you were talking about "growing pressure from AMD". My point was that there is no such pressure in the GPU market. If anything, they lost some marketshare in the most recent quarter.

Comment

Working...
                      X