Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes Signed Volta Firmware Images For Enabling Open-Source Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Signed Volta Firmware Images For Enabling Open-Source Driver Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Signed Volta Firmware Images For Enabling Open-Source Driver Support

While there are no signs of an imminent "Turing" signed firmware release as a prerequisite for open-source driver support on the new GeForce RTX 2070/2080 series, NVIDIA has finally let loose the signed firmware images for Volta "GV100" hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why do they have to wait one year (and sometimes even more) for releasing some firmware to the public.

Do they really, really think an open-source driver is going to hurt their business?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I wonder why do they have to wait one year (and sometimes even more) for releasing some firmware to the public.

Do they really, really think an open-source driver is going to hurt their business?
      I'm wondering the same thing. If they don't want want to publish these signatures on release day, why do they release them at all? Or in another light, if they plan to release these signatures eventually, why wait?

Comment

Maybe it helps some researchers with volta hardware but i'm not sure they use open source drivers since i guess most has been using there card for sometime already.
        I it's always good that hardware can be enabled on software drivers but i don't think there's too many that have waited for Volta support, but i can be wrong.

Comment

too little, too late

Comment

If they release some firmware, why not everything that is needed for reclocking too? Seems illogical to only do it partially.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              Maybe it helps some researchers with volta hardware
              researchers can get firmware from nvidia driver

Comment

Can't the signed firmware components be extracted from the Nvidia drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Can't the signed firmware components be extracted from the Nvidia drivers?
                  Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  researchers can get firmware from nvidia driver
                  ...which can only be used with NVIDIA's driver...

(if I am wrong then it could be possible to develop Nouveau for modern cards by just extracting the firmware from the proprietary driver)

Comment

Right now the only real use of the Nouveau drivers is to provide basic support where propietary drivers are not compatible yet (which is more or less common among laptops).

Comment

Working...
                    X