Nouveau Developers Begin Reverse-Engineering NVIDIA Turing Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Developers Begin Reverse-Engineering NVIDIA Turing Driver Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Developers Begin Reverse-Engineering NVIDIA Turing Driver Support

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 graphics cards are only officially beginning to ship today, but at least one independent Nouveau developer already has his hands on the hardware and beginning to work on the clean-room, driver reverse-engineering process in order to eventually get open-source "Nouveau" driver support working...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ... the best Nouveau driver support is still with the GeForce GTX 600/700 "Kepler" GPUs.
    And we have seen how well the 'best' open source driver supported Nvidia cards perform.

Intel couldn’t release it's Arctic Sound GPU's soon enough.

Comment

I gave up with NVidia long ago. I've been buying AMD and suggesting friends and customers to do the same for a few years now.

Comment

I'd like to see Valve support Nouveau just as much as AMDGPU. All this reverse engineering work would go better with a few dedicated, paid employees.

Comment

Maybe we could do a crowdfunding to get someone on the task of finding the signed firmware in the linux binary driver files ?
          I mean people also successfully collected enough money for Bootlin to work on the allwinner VPU fulltime and get h264 and hevc decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            I'd like to see Valve support Nouveau just as much as AMDGPU. All this reverse engineering work would go better with a few dedicated, paid employees.
            Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if Valve intends to relaunch steam machines with AMD hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
              Maybe we could do a crowdfunding to get someone on the task of finding the signed firmware in the linux binary driver files ?
              Orthogonally different problem to Bootlin's work on the allwinner VPU . The real problem is that, without NVIDIA's re-licensing of the full suite of signed firmware, these files cannot be legally redistributed to users.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post

Orthogonally different problem to Bootlin's work on the allwinner VPU . The real problem is that, without NVIDIA's re-licensing of the full suite of signed firmware, these files cannot be legally redistributed to users.
                Developers might let the users run the necessary scripts themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                  I gave up with NVidia long ago. I've been buying AMD and suggesting friends and customers to do the same for a few years now.
                  Ya for Linux I started recommending AMD too once they fixed their openGL performance issues.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Valve supports AMD with paid developers because AMD is on the same wavelength, both Valve and AMD want the MESA drivers to get better. The collaboration works well when there is support from the IHV.

Comment

Working...
                    X