Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Firmware Blobs Get Switched Up For Helping Pascal-Powered Laptops With Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Firmware Blobs Get Switched Up For Helping Pascal-Powered Laptops With Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA Firmware Blobs Get Switched Up For Helping Pascal-Powered Laptops With Nouveau

There was some NIVIDA signed firmware activity today in the linux-firmware.git tree for Pascal GPUs... Sadly, it's not the long sought after PMU firmware or any breakthrough in allowing the open-source Nouveau driver to properly support re-clocking or other long missing functionality from this open-source NVIDIA driver. Rather, it's just to help out newer laptops with Pascal discrete graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sound like nvidia is doing a amazing job in regards to this firmware images, not ;-) Speaking about nvidia: my 15" Retina MacBook Pro runs significantly hotter, and shorter with the Nvidia GT 750M active, so I need to hack the EFI BIOS and unlock the iGPU Apple's is hiding form non macOS users to get a cooler machine, and decent battery life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLIVqCFLv5Y needless to say that dynamic switching (gmux) still does not work.
    Last edited by rene; 06 September 2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Typo: "NIVIDA"

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Typo: "NIVIDA"
        It's from the German "nie wieder" (sounds similar) which would be "never again". :-)

Comment

It would be good if that Nouveau vs proprietary driver got cleaned up. AMD could do it and Nvidia should also. It's so annoying to switch drivers from Nouveau on fresh installs due to it freezing system or handling GPU weirdly.

Comment

Could it be Nvidia didn't provide any firmware for the 1070 Ti outside of their drivers at all?
            I don't have any OGL support at all with it and Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
              It would be good if that Nouveau vs proprietary driver got cleaned up. AMD could do it and Nvidia should also. It's so annoying to switch drivers from Nouveau on fresh installs due to it freezing system or handling GPU weirdly.
              What you mean with "got cleaned up" here?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                One driver that "just works" and if needed - vendor package that adds extra functionality on top of it (pro, non mainline features).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I'm not the original poster you're replying to, but I'd be happy with just having timely releases of complete firmware so that the nouveau driver developers could actually put out a complete driver that exposes the full capabilities of the hardware (performance included).

Nvidia have been very slow to put out the firmware releases that they do release, and they still haven't released some of the required pieces for reclocking, even on multi-year old chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    I'm not the original poster you're replying to, but I'd be happy with just having timely releases of complete firmware so that the nouveau driver developers could actually put out a complete driver that exposes the full capabilities of the hardware (performance included).
                    You are asking a lot more than he is, do you realize that?

Releasing firmwares would mean NVIDIA would lose control over their hardware, which means NVIDIA has everything to lose from that.

I'm pretty sure they won't release anything at all, it would not fit with what seems to be their plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X