Recent Nouveau Improvements Thanks To A New Contributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    The AMD Linux experience is stable as fuck. Id trade a few FPS for stability and reliability any day.
    While i totally agree with your assessment of nVidia basically being unsuitable for Linux use, I can unluckily not agree to "the AMD Linux experience" being stable. I have tried very, very hard since spring 2017 to get a stable Linux system with an (already no longer sold) RX460 GPU - but still the amdgpu driver is crashing on me either spontaneously or upon S3 resumes.

As much as I dislike Intel CPUs, their iGPUs to me are the only contemporary GPUs with stable Linux drivers.

Comment

“As much as I dislike Intel CPUs, their iGPUs to me are the only contemporary GPUs with stable Linux drivers.” - sorry mate but I can’t agree. I’ve got a razerblade stealth with Intel Kabylake graphics. The system is more stable running an egpu nvidia 770gtx than it is running the built in intel card. That’s before we even fire up 3D where the Nvidia graphics nukes the Intel card.

Comment

Nice. Would be nice to see Nouveau competing with the proprietary driver one day, as on the AMD side. Another contributor can't hurt eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

Not in this case. The machines that I use that have Nvidia are laptops. I could buy a new laptop, but then I wouldn't be concerned with the 304 drivers.
          Even if you bought a laptop and by accident only found out afterwards that it has NVidia graphics, you can usually shut that down and use only the iGPU.

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          but still the amdgpu driver is crashing on me either spontaneously or upon S3 resumes.
          suspend is a very sad story on amdgpu. I have three systems with AMD GCN graphics, and none of them will suspend/resume properly when using amdgpu, including one system where suspend/resume works fine with radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            Have you filed bug reports?
            I cannot speak for "chithanh", but I certainly have, and others have, too - there is no shortage on such bug reports. See this example just from today: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107154

Comment

You do not need to generalize, I have two pc with AMD and I have no problem, everything working out the box. It depends a lot on which graphics card is in use, but this also applies to Intel or Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                I cannot speak for "chithanh", but I certainly have, and others have, too - there is no shortage on such bug reports. See this example just from today: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107154
                I think there is a fix coming for your issue, see here > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ly/023770.html.
                But as it is with software in general, complex issue takes some time to find a correct solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                  Have you filed bug reports?
                  Yes, for all issues there are bug reports already.
                  For suspend-to-ram issue on Kabini, I filed fdo bug 101926.
                  For suspend-to-disk issue on Beema / Carrizo / Bristol Ridge, someone else already filed fdo bug 100979.
                  The third bug report I don't find right now, but that one was also discovered and reported by someone else already.

None of the reports have seen any visible activity from AMD so far.

Comment

Not in this case. The machines that I use that have Nvidia are laptops. I could buy a new laptop, but then I wouldn't be concerned with the 304 drivers.
                    Linux - keeping working hardware out of landfills since 30 years.

Comment

I could buy a new laptop, but then I wouldn't be concerned with the 304 drivers.
                      until few years pass. try to think about non-immediate consequences of your actions
                      Last edited by pal666; 10 July 2018, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X