Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Nouveau Improvements Thanks To A New Contributor

Phoronix: Recent Nouveau Improvements Thanks To A New Contributor

The open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver continues to be largely a community affair aside from occasional code/documentation dumps (and hardware supplies) from NVIDIA and then Red Hat also employing a few of the key contributors to the Nouveau DRM kernel driver and Nouveau NVC0 Gallium3D within Mesa. When it comes to Red Hat's Nouveau developers like Ben Skeggs and Karol Herbst, they started out as community contributors over the years to this driver. Fortunately, this year has brought another new contributor to the Mesa driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see new nouveau contributors!

Comment

Nvidia drivers is great, until you can't install it any more like with the Nvidia 304 drivers. They just don't work with Ubuntu 18.04. You have only Nouveau left to contend with.

Comment

I really miss better performance for Fermi . I use a 580 (or is it 850) that works really slow with nouveau and if I try using any Wayland desktop the computer freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post
          Great to see new nouveau contributors!
          Pardon, but its 'nouveau nouveau'.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
            I really miss better performance for Fermi . I use a 580 (or is it 850) that works really slow with nouveau and if I try using any Wayland desktop the computer freeze.
            Yes, Fermi reclocking would be really needed since those cards boot to their lowest power levels.

(it's 580)

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post

Pardon, but its 'nouveau nouveau'.
              I had to read it twice before i got it.

Comment

I had to install a server yesterday and the ATI card went bad.

So I had to throw in a spare Nvidia card 750 Ti SC.

It wouldnt even boot to TTY getty on MESA with Nouvaue.

So I had to SSH in to install Nvidia blob spyware.

Good god after being on AMD MESA I remember how shitty the Nvidia Linux experience is.

I am tempted to put some of my pulled hair back on my head and just buy AMDs to replace the remaining Nvidias in my LAN.

The AMD Linux experience is stable as fuck. Id trade a few FPS for stability and reliability any day.

I wish Nouveau could do more -- no thanks to Nvidia.

Comment

Wasted time of bright developers. As long as they do it for fun and know it's totally wasted time it's of course fine, but I really hope they don't have any illusions with nouveau and Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

just buy a AMD card. sometimes it is that easy
                    Not in this case. The machines that I use that have Nvidia are laptops. I could buy a new laptop, but then I wouldn't be concerned with the 304 drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X