Nouveau NV50 Gets Patches To Help Dolphin Emulator By As Much As ~50%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau NV50 Gets Patches To Help Dolphin Emulator By As Much As ~50%

Phoronix: Nouveau NV50 Gets Patches To Help Dolphin Emulator By As Much As ~50%

If you are still using the Nouveau NV50 Gallium3D driver (pre-Fermi), you really should think about upgrading your GPU to something that is much faster and also much more power efficient, but if you plan on sticking it out with the aging NV50 there is now the possibility of having much better performance with the Dolphin emulator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    the perforance in other games appears to be roughly the same.

Comment

Actually the patches apply to Maxwell+, not pre-fermi.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
        Actually the patches apply to Maxwell+, not pre-fermi.
        Whoops, thanks. Fixed... Saw the one patch mentioning GM107 but then with the others mentioning NV50, I ended up thinking otherwise.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Typo:
          Dang... you're faster than the spell checker on my old Windows box
          Test signature

Comment

Awesome. The Nouveau guys are doing great work. I think the nouveau driver is a really important part of the Open Source, GNU/Linux ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Awesome. The Nouveau guys are doing great work. I think the nouveau driver is a really important part of the Open Source, GNU/Linux ecosystem.
              I agree. Despite the fact I don't use Nvidia in any of my desktop Linux systems, I wish it would get more attention, because it would help everyone in the long run. Stuff like EGLStreams could've been avoided if Nouveau had more support. I personally think the devs do a fantastic job considering their lack of resources, and yet I find a lot of discouraging comments drawn toward them. The time spent on RADV could've been better spent giving Nvidia an open-source Vulkan driver (now instead, AMD has 2 open source Vulkan drivers, and 1 closed source). And yet, people were all in a hissy-fit over how they thought my priorities were dumb... </rant>

Comment

The issue with nouveau drivers is the missing reclocking, when testing them also the flickering was unbearable, everything was out of sync for reasons I don't understand. But I do understand that reverse engineering so many hardware is a titanic job and requires lots of skills. I thank every opensource project for what it does, but sometimes these projects aren't ready yet to be used constantly...

Comment

The biggest cause of those new nvidia / dolphin changes is the linux switch implementation, hope more of this change to come and improve the nvidia and dolphin code

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    The issue with nouveau drivers is the missing reclocking..
                    Depends on the hardware. My GTX 650 reclocks well enough that I can do some serious old skool gaming with it. For example, Doom BFG used to require the proprietary drivers, but now it runs great when I enable reclocking. I've hear the 750 and 780 reclock well too.

If what they claim is true, many Dolphin games that were on the verge of being playable, will now be. In fact, I'm at the point were I think a CPU upgrade would help more with it than a new GPU.
                    Last edited by slacka; 14 June 2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X