NVIDIA Publishes Reference Documentation For Volta's Display Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Reference Documentation For Volta's Display Hardware

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Reference Documentation For Volta's Display Hardware

NVIDIA has today released the display hardware documentation for "GV100" Volta graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where's a link where I can tell Nvidia I no longer purchase their graphics cards because they are closed source. Infact I am willing to pay more for AMD simply because they are open source.

I recall before MESA and Open Source I submitted a long letter to AMD staff explaning that if they did a open source driver I would hapilly buy their products -- and since then I absolutely have.

I think if Nvidia did a open source driver many linux users could consider them a option. Anyways, if they want to even have a chance to take $1,000 out of my wallet annually they're going to have to make Nvidia open source on Linux for me. (Plus all the sales recommendations I make as a IT to customers, sytem builders, on laptop sales, etc...) AMD has come back with vengence and fury and with a Zen designer bringing design optimizations to the AMD graphics in development I get the feeling that the underdog is getting in a position to trade places (like the sun and the moon cycle trading places)

I get the feeling that NVidia will be stubborn and I & my crew will be happilly on AMD for some time though on all my home, work and office machines and laptops when possible -- but if anyone has a link where I can get through to someone that matters, let me know and I'll submit a letter explaning why they're loosing marketshare and money in the critical Linux space. Linux is the centerplace of all software development, and like the 1% of the world that own 66% of the wealth in the world, what happens in Linux and starts on Linux effects the technology and choices of customers everywhere.
    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 12 April 2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
      Wait a second, has anything changed about it requiring signed blob to work since Pascal? Is there even any point in having these headers without it?
      Pure modesetting without hardware acceleration has always worked without signed firmware blobs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I guess you can consider NVIDIA's own email clickbait then as it's titled "NVIDIA display hardware documentation update"
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I guess you can consider NVIDIA's own email clickbait then as it's titled "NVIDIA display hardware documentation update"
            No, as you don't click on emails to generate ad revenue for NVIDIA.

Comment

I'm kind of interested to see the performance of customer Volta GPU's once they get released. Pascal was a huge, and IMO, unexpected performance jump for Nvidia.

Comment

Sometimes, when it comes to GPU support, I will take what I can get. Even if there is no acceleration, just having the correct resolution is a start!

... Though avoiding sh*t like Gnome 3 and Wayland which are over-reliant on an accelerated GPU also helps haha

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if the new videocards from NVIDIA start at $1000usd or TOP end prices and NOT replace the current 1000 series. If only we had a strong competitor to stop that type of escalation which is exactly what happens when a company doesn't need to worry about competing...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Wouldn't be surprised if the new videocards from NVIDIA start at $1000usd or TOP end prices and NOT replace the current 1000 series. If only we had a strong competitor to stop that type of escalation which is exactly what happens when a company doesn't need to worry about competing...
                    The Volta Titan is like twice the price of a Pascal Titan

Comment

Working...
                    X