NVIDIA Preparing Upstream Linux Kernel Support For The Tegra Xavier SoC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Preparing Upstream Linux Kernel Support For The Tegra Xavier SoC

Phoronix: NVIDIA Preparing Upstream Linux Kernel Support For The Tegra Xavier SoC

NVIDIA has begun work on sending out patches for upstreaming Tegra194 "Xavier" SoC support within the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    At this stage there is suppoer for Xavier's UART,

Comment

I'm sure this will be and remain to be the most expensive ARM device, until it is succeeded.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: NVIDIA Preparing Upstream Linux Kernel Support For The Tegra Xavier SoC

Hopefully it won't be much longer before NVIDIA rolls out a new Jetson development board as well.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux-Kernel-Work
        I second this. Also, I wonder if anyone has gotten mycroft running and optimized for the Jetson boards, I would think they would be best suited for running a self-hosted assistant. (It IS self-hosted, right?)

Comment

I wish Nvidia would release a new Shield device with one of these. Instabuy!

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
            I wish Nvidia would release a new Shield device with one of these. Instabuy!
            Ultimate Plex Power! lol

Comment

Always nice to see companies become more and more friendly to open source. Before this Nvidia's upstream efforts were mostly retroactive and now they're upstreaming stuff before the hardware comes out.

Then again when they do the SoC software here in Finland it's probably to be expected that the people doing the work are going to ask to release their work as open source. Been looking at their job listings and tempted to apply, but for the last year they've mostly been looking for senior people and I don't quite have the experience to call myself a "senior" engineer.

Comment

I've been doing some searching to try and find out if Nvidia will be providing Open Source drivers for all the hardware on the chip (including hardware accelerated OpenGL, OpenCL and Cuda). So far I can't finding anything to suggest they are doing that. Do any of you have any more info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm sure this will be and remain to be the most expensive ARM device, until it is succeeded.
                  What exactly? Tegra's are quite cheap compared to some FPGAs with arm inside.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                    What exactly? Tegra's are quite cheap compared to some FPGAs with arm inside.
                    Not going to be the case when they contain tensor cores and are targeted toward the automotive industry. Take a look at the price of Volta GPUs vs other Quadros. Even the Titan V has a hefty price tag.

Also, the Jetson TX2 sells for $560 right now. Though it's one of the most powerful ARM platforms, it's certainly not cheap.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 February 2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X