Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler Clock Gating Queued In Nouveau DRM, Lowering Power Use

Phoronix: Kepler Clock Gating Queued In Nouveau DRM, Lowering Power Use

Red Hat's Lyude Paul has been spending the past number of weeks working out clock-gating support for NVIDIA Kepler GPUs with the open-source Nouveau DRM kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kudos, hardware reverse engineering and driver development is a tough job, …
    my recent example intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIm2pMXS5Q4

Comment

Cool, I might finally be able to replace binary nvidia's driver with nouveau on 5 year old laptop.

Comment

Why nvidia doesn't support open source drivers? For me, it's no go for nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
          Why nvidia doesn't support open source drivers?
          They want to keep full control of their hardware. If they are the ones making the driver they control where and when and how their hardware can be used. Like for example locking down features in driver while the hardware technically supports them.

Comment

Why nvidia doesn't support open source drivers? For me, it's no go for nvidia.
            They could have just as easily given us nothing and left us with the same compromising situation we're in with WiFi hardware support, except in an even more critical hardware category. I think we should take what we can get.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post

They could have just as easily given us nothing and left us with the same compromising situation we're in with WiFi hardware support, except in an even more critical hardware category. I think we should take what we can get.
              Wait, what? they basically have given us nothing, and left us with a binary blob wrapping windows driver just like ndiswrapper. If you want an open system, choose hardware that is natively supported by open source, and do not accept binary only windows blobs at the core.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
                I didn't chose Linux to "take what I can get", sorry.

They either opensource or I'm using their cards only on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I didn't chose Linux to "take what I can get", sorry.

They either opensource or I'm using their cards only on Windows.
                  Meaning, never. I don't use windows on my personal machines. I don't buy nvidia.

Comment

Why nvidia doesn't support open source drivers?
                    NVidia does have an open source driver, called nvgpu. I think it mostly targets Android. Though being typical NVidia, they ignore everyone else when working on it.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X