Red Hat Developer Manages Full Clock-Gating For Kepler With Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Developer Manages Full Clock-Gating For Kepler With Nouveau

Phoronix: Red Hat Developer Manages Full Clock-Gating For Kepler With Nouveau

In improving the power-savings of NVIDIA GeForce 600/700 "Kepler" GPUs running on the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver, Red Hat developer Lyude Paul has published a set of patches allowing for full clock-gating with these older graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

think i have to change distro so I can use kepler reclocking patch with kernel 4.8 headers, rolling edge is not helping me

my lts kernel downgrades to 4.9.41 however
    Last edited by AdamOne; 15 January 2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

It's sad that you have to reverse engineer this sort of thing

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
        You don't have to. You can use Nvidia's driver. But then, you already knew that...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You don't have to. You can use Nvidia's driver. But then, you already knew that...
          No can't, do not trust their security, in 2018 binary-only blob does not cut it anymore. Also can't use it on my PowerPC64 G5, ... or DragonflyBSD, ...

Comment

Life is unfair, but we already knew that. Company "A" with tight budget, invests high amount of resources to be opensource friendly and the other greedy company "B", open-source hostile, gets those features for free.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
              Life is unfair, but we already knew that. Company "A" with tight budget, invests high amount of resources to be opensource friendly and the other greedy company "B", open-source hostile, gets those features for free.
              well, as a result of not state of the art open source support I do not recommend company B at all, over a decade already. More people should spread the word to support those companies that actually are open source friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                but more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

No can't, do not trust their security, in 2018 binary-only blob does not cut it anymore. Also can't use it on my PowerPC64 G5, ... or DragonflyBSD, ...
                  So buy AMD or Intel..

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    I really don't how understand security is anything to be concerned about, especially considering the amount of effort it takes to reverse-engineer Nvidia's work.
                    Also, Nvidia never had support for PPC (except maybe older models for Mac), and Kepler GPUs probably demand more PCIe bandwidth than what a G5 has to offer. So even if Nvidia had any obligation to get newer GPUs to work on PPC, they wouldn't be worth using anyway.
                    As for DragonlyBSD (or other BSDs), I thought Nvidia supplied working closed-source drivers for the BSDs?

Like mentioned earlier, just go for Intel or AMD. As of today, the only reason to pick Nvidia over AMD for Linux is for:
                    * The software support from the closed-source drivers (which you already established you can't use)
                    * The extra features supplied by the closed-source drivers
                    * The performance you get from a 1080Ti or Titan Xp (which neither your G5 nor Nouveau are going to take advantage of)

Comment

Working...
                    X