No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Contributes Some New Tegra/Nouveau Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of you know this, but Tegra is the ONLY driver for arm.
    Who knows what would be necessary to make NVIDIA's closed x86 driver work on other architectures.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      no one did but IMO it is anyway as its useless an ya wonder why many still use the closed Nvidia Driver .
      I use it, no 3D needs on my old laptop, and it saves me from installing and ugrading the nvidia blob. No wonder why many still use the closed one. I wonder why many Linux enthusiasts still BUY nvidia hardware. This laptop I'm using is the last one I will ever own with a nvidia GPU (or any other nvidia component, if at all possible).

Comment

Originally posted by d4ddi0 View Post
        Who knows what would be necessary to make NVIDIA's closed x86 driver work on other architectures.
        Tegra is not a driver. Tegra is the name of NVIDIA's own ARM SoC designs, like Snapdragon is Qualcomm's.
        The GPU component in the Tegra has proprietary drivers too, and most use that.

NVIDIA x86 driver won't work on Tegra because that is a different GPU hardware, even if we ignore that x86 drivers can't run in ARM processors.

Comment

On my secondary machines that use NVIDIA GPU's, I use Nouveau. The proprietary blob is on many occasions a PITA to install and MATE with the software renderer works fine on older cards with Nouveau anyway.

Comment

no one did but IMO it is anyway as its useless an ya wonder why many still use the closed Nvidia Driver .
            Old cards do not work with recent kernels and xorg. Without nouveau you have to run an old distro or through your old laptop out of the window.

Comment

Originally posted by d4ddi0 View Post
              drm/tegra is the free arm driver for pre desktop graphics on SOC(up until K1). From K1 graphics drivers are now included in drm/nouveau, as is their desktop counterparts. And yes nvidia has closed proprietary graphics drivers for arm with common code stack with x86-64 counter part(even with windows driver code stack).

Comment

dunno why Nvidia bother to contribute to the Noveau Project when its a Dead driver anyway, an Nvidia dont want competition .
                It's far from dead, it's just not for your average desktop gaming PC.

Comment

dunno why Nvidia bother to contribute to the Noveau Project when its a Dead driver anyway, an Nvidia dont want competition .
                  Nouveau definitely is not dead. It's a good choice for those who have older hardware (like GTX 700 series and older). The progress on it is impressive when you consider how few people are working on it, where almost everyone is a volunteer.

Comment

Working...
                  X