Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Working On 32-bit GPU Pointers For RadeonSI

Phoronix: Marek Working On 32-bit GPU Pointers For RadeonSI

Well known open-source AMD 3D driver developer Marek Olšák has published a set of new patches featuring his latest optimization work: 32-bit GPU pointers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds like it should have significant performance impact especially for compute... perhaps they are looking at updating clover or better integrating with ROCm

Comment

this sounds like x32 of amd64 or n32 of mips64, aka 32 bit pointers for 64 bit CPUs, to use shorter pointers to free registers, and cache utilization?

Comment

This looks like a good idea, and it seems to reduce spilled VGPR too, thus it helps the llvm scheduler.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          this sounds like x32 of amd64 or n32 of mips64, aka 32 bit pointers for 64 bit CPUs, to use shorter pointers to free registers, and cache utilization?
          it does seem like that, it will be interesting to see what the performance impact is, and if there are any regressions

Comment

Marek is everywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Jahimself View Post
              Marek is everywhere?
              marek is like santa he gives christmas presents(https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Glxgears-Xmas) and can be everywhere or nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

it does seem like that, it will be interesting to see what the performance impact is, and if there are any regressions
                It may very well help some apps running on GPUs. I just find it a bit funny when you can buy GPU cards with far more addressable RAM than a 32 bit pointer allows for. Of course these days buying a GPU card with more RAM than most of the computers ive ever owned is a possibility.

While i can see a positive performance impact im not convinced there will be many regressions. I would imagine this feature will be exposed as new datatypes for the programmer to exploit. One thing for sure, if there is a problem Micheals testing will show it to us.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

It may very well help some apps running on GPUs. I just find it a bit funny when you can buy GPU cards with far more addressable RAM than a 32 bit pointer allows for. Of course these days buying a GPU card with more RAM than most of the computers ive ever owned is a possibility.

While i can see a positive performance impact im not convinced there will be many regressions. I would imagine this feature will be exposed as new datatypes for the programmer to exploit. One thing for sure, if there is a problem Micheals testing will show it to us.
                  i wonder if this gets enabled for only 4GiB < cards (as you would need the 64bit pointers for accessing the large memory areas).

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

i wonder if this gets enabled for only 4GiB < cards (as you would need the 64bit pointers for accessing the large memory areas).
                    Most likely you can use two addressing modes... Then I am just speculating, I must admit that I didn't bother researching. Another possibility *could* be addressing larger chunks of memory.

Edit: it does look like there are some new heap flags, so you can most certainly use it along with 64bit addressing for other parts of the program. Mesa code certainly looks like a treasure trove to anyone interested in GPUs, I'll have to have a deep look at it one of these days
                    Last edited by M@yeulC; 07 January 2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X