Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What driver should I use for my AMD Radeon R7 360 graphics card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What driver should I use for my AMD Radeon R7 360 graphics card?

I'm looking for the driver that will best suit my graphics card. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.

radeon driver is default AFAIK on Ubuntu 16.04 for R7 360. Second option is amdgpu-pro driver available on AMD site.... these two are most easier to install, first you have by default and second should be easy to install/remove.

There are 2 more driver options actaully for R7 360 (catalyst and amdgpu), but require preparations/interventions on Ubuntu 16.04... changing, upgrading or even downgrading one or more OS components to make them work.
    Last edited by dungeon; 02 January 2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      radeon driver is default AFAIK on Ubuntu 16.04 for R7 360. Second option is amdgpu-pro driver available on AMD site.... these two are most easier to install, first you have by default and second should be easy to install/remove.

There are 2 more driver options actaully for R7 360 (catalyst and amdgpu), but require preparations/interventions on Ubuntu 16.04... changing, upgrading or even downgrading one or more OS components to make them work.

Which one of those will perform the best?

Comment

Originally posted by Zangar_ View Post
        Which one of those will perform the best?
        By definition or rule of thumb theory, newer should be the better well if you don't hit some new bug also I mention what i think is easier to setup from user perspective on your Ubuntu 16.04 distro (there you have radeon by default for your card and most easier else to try there is i think amdgpu-pro), but any drivers could be good enough.

Catalyst and radeon are old approach drivers, newer mainstream ones nowdays are amdgpu and amdgpu-pro, so if you like newer then use one of these.
        Last edited by dungeon; 03 January 2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

By definition or rule of thumb theory, newer should be the better well if you don't hit some new bug also I mention what i think is easier to setup from user perspective on your Ubuntu 16.04 distro (there you have radeon by default for your card and most easier else to try there is i think amdgpu-pro), but any drivers could be good enough.

Catalyst and radeon are old approach drivers, newer mainstream ones nowdays are amdgpu and amdgpu-pro, so if you like newer then use one of these.
          I will try to install amdgpu-pro tomorrow! Thanks for your help! Also, do you think that for gaming, one or another driver will give higher frames-per-second?

Comment

Thanks debianxfce!

Comment

It's essential have the kernel 4.15 or greater. I have a R7 360 to, and I'm using the opensource solution: amdgpu + Mesa 17. The new updates on the kernel made a big difference on performance. But in my case I had to compile the kernel, because it wasn't yet in Debian sid repository.

Comment

What kind of acceleration doesn't work? It's running everything properly. (at least much playable). Even vulkan is working, not 100%, but now it`s working. I just had to compile the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Do not use old and buggy operating systems. Use a rolling release distribution like Debian testing Xfce. How to use open source drivers, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AxgH2bbsE
                  You have an upgrade path on 16.04 too.. (the stuff for Feb 2018 was delayed to March though for M
                  eltdown and Spectre patches)

Comment

Working...
                  X