No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Gets Its Last Feature Updates For Linux 4.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does amdgpu support working reset on Polaris cards? Some patches for the Witcher 3 cause a hard freeze (GPU hang), and reset could potentially help in such situation.

It's quite an annoying thing that some incorrect usage of OpenGL can hang the whole system.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Sleep and hibernate modes are useless with a desktop computer. With a custom non debug 1000Hz timer kernel and Debian testing Xfce your computer will boot in a couple of seconds and shut down immediately. Blanking the display works and that is enough.
      Unless you happen to have a new computer with UEFI that takes 5-15s to even get to the bootloader if you are not using the Windows-only fast boot path.

Keeping electric devices in the sleep mode shorten the life of capacitors in switched mode power supplies.

[citation needed]

Comment

At the end of this year i finally bought my first Radeon card, RX 580 Nitro+ SE. This became possible thanks to all the hard work maded by AMD devs. Thank you and happy new year!

PS. Hope to see Wattman-like software in open-source driver in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          Resuming from S3 still does not work with the latest patches, rendering all other potential improvements mute for me.
          This should be fixed with
          Code:
          commit 0a24bfcb2cc2cd161a0c8aae8fcbb58239d5da2b
          Author: Leo (Sunpeng) Li <[email protected]>
          Date:   Thu Nov 16 15:17:27 2017 -0500

drm/amd/display: Do not put drm_atomic_state on resume

drm_atomic_helper_resume now puts it for us. See relevant patch here:
              https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2017-October/154268.html

Signed-off-by: Leo (Sunpeng) Li <[email protected]>
              Reviewed-by: Harry Wentland <[email protected]>
              Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher <[email protected]>
          Can you confirm that you have this fix?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
            This should be fixed with
            Code:
            commit 0a24bfcb2cc2cd161a0c8aae8fcbb58239d5da2b
            Author: Leo (Sunpeng) Li <[email protected]>
            Date: Thu Nov 16 15:17:27 2017 -0500

drm/amd/display: Do not put drm_atomic_state on resume

drm_atomic_helper_resume now puts it for us. See relevant patch here:
            https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2017-October/154268.html

Signed-off-by: Leo (Sunpeng) Li <[email protected]>
            Reviewed-by: Harry Wentland <[email protected]>
            Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher <[email protected]>
            Can you confirm that you have this fix?
            Yes, I also tried recent versions of the drm-next kernel having this patch included - does not change the 100% fail rate of S3 resumes for me. See also: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103277

Comment

Lol, live conserts;-) There space shuttles are flying and laser gun beams in 3D audio enviroment:-) BD audio, you mean blue ray disk audio, how many movies there with 3D environment audio tracks except Star Wars movies.
              What about the live concerts /w 3D audio? I have a few concerts with Atmos soundtracks (Metallica, Roger Waters and David Gilmour), but I am just beginning to complement my collection. And when it comes to actual movies there is a list available at Dolby: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html but this list is not complete. I have a few releases on disc which are not listed there.

But my argument was not just about 3D audio, also about the plain old DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD formats, which are not 3D, but lossless (and very common these days).

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post

What about the live concerts /w 3D audio? I have a few concerts with Atmos soundtracks (Metallica, Roger Waters and David Gilmour), but I am just beginning to complement my collection. And when it comes to actual movies there is a list available at Dolby: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html but this list is not complete. I have a few releases on disc which are not listed there.

But my argument was not just about 3D audio, also about the plain old DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD formats, which are not 3D, but lossless (and very common these days).
                Not an expert on surround sound or anything but are you asking AMD to supply a licensed, open source decoder for all those proprietary formats?
                (I'm just pointing out that the problems may not all be technical in nature...)

I'm just happy that I now have audio over my DisplayPort connection without having to install the Pro driver...

Comment

I have personally yet to meet someone who has a surround sound system at their home. The most I've ever seen is stereo with a sub. Surround sound setups are pretty rare. So I can understand why getting many other things ready first take priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Heyoka View Post
                    Not an expert on surround sound or anything but are you asking AMD to supply a licensed, open source decoder for all those proprietary formats?
                    (I'm just pointing out that the problems may not all be technical in nature...)
                    No, this is not about a decoder at all. This is only about pass-though - the sound is usually being decoded by the amp or pre-amp (as late as possible in the A/V chain). And also about multichannel LPCM, which also has issues on amdgpu. So this has nothing to do with licenses or DRM, it is just about compliance with the HDMI spec, which mandates HBR audio support for anything greater than HDMI 1.3 (TrueHD/DTS-HD support is actually already part of HDMI 1.3).

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    I have personally yet to meet someone who has a surround sound system at their home.
                    You don't seem to be getting around much. I agree that full 7.2.4 setups are not common, but normal 5.1 setups are. And yes, some people might not have the room for a surround setup, but soundbars for example are also quite popular these days - and even most of them do 3D audio (rather badly, but that's a different story). And by the way: even people with 2.1 setups benefit from the advanced surround formats as they are lossless .

But this is becoming rather off-topic.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                      Yes, I also tried recent versions of the drm-next kernel having this patch included - does not change the 100% fail rate of S3 resumes for me. See also: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103277
                      You may test with kasan enabled. It this is some use-after-free too, you can catch it this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X