Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Ends The Year On A High Note With A Performance Boost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RADV Vulkan Driver Ends The Year On A High Note With A Performance Boost

    Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Ends The Year On A High Note With A Performance Boost

    Just hours ago was a new patch series being merged to Mesa Git by RADV co-founder Bas Nieuwenhuizen to allow for correct DCC usage. I have just finished up my initial benchmarks of those RADV changes and they indeed help the few Radeon GPUs tested.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25745

  • #2
    Great improvements but so boring that i still compare against OpenGL performance.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      What a great way to end 2018
      Happy New Year 2019!

      Comment


      • #4
        Fantastic job guys!

        For this and the whole of 2017 efforts on RadV. Have a beer!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Bas & Dave!
          With such performance numbers I personally don't really see the point of AMDVLK.
          Code sharing between vendors and APIs seems more efficient than with closed&bloated OS, at least for now.

          And of course thanks to Michael for all these benchmarks! Cheers!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gurv View Post
            Code sharing between vendors and APIs
            like between dx12 and vulkan? sure

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gurv View Post
              !
              With such performance numbers I personally don't really see the point of AMDVLK.
              Code sharing between vendors and APIs seems more efficient than with closed&bloated OS, at least for now.
              Nvidia's Linux Vulkan driver which is cross-platform (shared with windows) is way faster than RadV.
              And AMD's windows Vulkan driver is even faster than that Nvidia driver: when comparing competing GPUs. And that comes from the same shared codebase as amdvlk.

              So don't be to quick to dismiss the potential in that AMD codebase. Once they spend some time optimizing performance of it on Linux it could run as blazing fast as their Windows Vulkan driver.
              That would mean results such as the below in Vulkan applications and not by narrow margins either
              R9 290 > gtx 970
              rx580 > gtx1060
              vega56 > gtx 1070
              vega64 > gtx 1080

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by humbug View Post
                And AMD's windows Vulkan driver is even faster than that Nvidia driver:
                I think it's more likely that the AMD OpenGL Windows driver is worse then the NVIDIA OpenGL counterpart. The Vulkan driver is likely catching up...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Nvidia's Linux Vulkan driver which is cross-platform (shared with windows) is way faster than RadV.
                  And AMD's windows Vulkan driver is even faster than that Nvidia driver: when comparing competing GPUs. And that comes from the same shared codebase as amdvlk.

                  So don't be to quick to dismiss the potential in that AMD codebase. Once they spend some time optimizing performance of it on Linux it could run as blazing fast as their Windows Vulkan driver.
                  That would mean results such as the below in Vulkan applications and not by narrow margins either
                  R9 290 > gtx 970
                  rx580 > gtx1060
                  vega56 > gtx 1070
                  vega64 > gtx 1080
                  Just wondering what benchmarks these results are on? is there dota2 windows benchmarks someplace, I can see a lot of the ported dx11 games being slower on Linux due to port overheads, but I'm not seeing why amdgpu pro would have have much different perf between windows and Linux, like the kernel API can't be that different.

                  Dave.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    VKmark's looking low for the 64!

                    Just done a run on mesa 17.3.1 and scored 18753.

                    Has radv actually regressed on the git branch?

                    Code:
                    vkmark
                    WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
                    =======================================================
                        vkmark 2017.08
                    =======================================================
                        Vendor ID:      0x1002
                        Device ID:      0x687F
                        Device Name:    AMD RADV VEGA (LLVM 5.0.1)
                        Driver Version: 71315457
                    =======================================================
                    [vertex] device-local=true: FPS: 19522 FrameTime: 0.051 ms
                    [vertex] device-local=false: FPS: 11370 FrameTime: 0.088 ms
                    [texture] anisotropy=0: FPS: 19682 FrameTime: 0.051 ms
                    [texture] anisotropy=16: FPS: 19678 FrameTime: 0.051 ms
                    [shading] shading=gouraud: FPS: 18585 FrameTime: 0.054 ms
                    [shading] shading=blinn-phong-inf: FPS: 18761 FrameTime: 0.053 ms
                    [shading] shading=phong: FPS: 18500 FrameTime: 0.054 ms
                    [shading] shading=cel: FPS: 18680 FrameTime: 0.054 ms
                    [effect2d] kernel=edge: FPS: 20904 FrameTime: 0.048 ms
                    [effect2d] kernel=blur: FPS: 17567 FrameTime: 0.057 ms
                    [desktop] <default>: FPS: 17294 FrameTime: 0.058 ms
                    [cube] <default>: FPS: 21255 FrameTime: 0.047 ms
                    [clear] <default>: FPS: 21991 FrameTime: 0.045 ms
                    =======================================================
                                                       vkmark Score: 18753
                    =======================================================

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X