No announcement yet.

R600g/RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance At The End Of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BioShock Infinite at 2560 x 1440 becomes CPU bound with the Fury~Vega GPUs but was run at this resolution in order to not cripple the older hardware due to its limited vRAM capacity. The Radeon HD 6870 couldn't run this game out-of-the-box due to being bound to OpenGL 3.3.
    That's quite strange ; I completed the game about one year ago on my 6870. It worked without issue, although I can't remember if I used an override switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
      It seems Tonga (285/380/480) has fallen out of the pool of tested cards. That is a shame as I believe Tonga was a very popular mid-range card.
      Coincidentally just found my R9 285 Tonga a few minutes ago, was misplaced in a wrong pile of cards.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Good to know, thanks. Maybe you know if is any hope for fixing fan speed on my hd5850?
        Does the fan run full speed all the time with open drivers (which suggests BIOS isn't setting up the fan table correctly) or only when the card is under heavy load ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Does the fan run full speed all the time with open drivers (which suggests BIOS isn't setting up the fan table correctly) or only when the card is under heavy load ?
          When idle is ok but when even minimal load my fan working like crazy. This is strange because even browsing internet on chromium my gpu is noisy but much worse is with gaming. On fglrx I not have this issue, also when I trying Windows 7 also not see this issue.

Comment

Good to see all the GPUs now line up in the correct order performance wise, no glaring regressions.

Hopefully Vega will pick up more performance optimizations.

Comment

Maybe its just me, but i dont find this benchmark particularly useful. For a complete picture it should either compare gallium performance from last year, or provide amdgpu results as reference

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Thanks for benchmarks Michael.

From what I can test on my machine with HD5850 I see that my old fglrx (catalyst 15.9) driver in many games perform better than open source Radeon + mesa 17.2/4. Don't know why. I still use Mageia 5 distro with fglrx because on any distro with Radeon and Mesa, my GPU fan working at 100% speed and noise is unbearable...

Reported bug here https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101987 but looks like nobody care about fixing bugs for old gpu :/ Maybe anyone have similar issue and know how to fix it?
                I wonder if bridgman and folks could manage to get the power management related parts of fglrx opened up. It seems those are the last main actually badly broken things for legacy chip generations and extremely hard to get right

Comment

I mean, there were comments where attempts to fix fan management through RE fglrx were blocked earlier. (in the individual case non-RE fix ended up being made hough) This means fglrx actually at times did it better and it would be useful to use the existing engineering knowledge from it

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    I mean, there were comments where attempts to fix fan management through RE fglrx were blocked earlier.
                    blocked ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

blocked ?
                      Blocked as in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90263#c18 Don't get me wrong, the fix still eventually got in another form but it sounded according to the comment AMD maintainers disliked contributions where fix was obtained by blackbox monitoring what fglrx does.

Comment

Working...
                      X