Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless Computer Is Looking Forward To Using AMDGPU DC

Phoronix: Endless Computer Is Looking Forward To Using AMDGPU DC

Endless Mobile, the company behind the Linux-based Flatpak-using Endless OS and that has sold several different low-cost computers around the world, is looking forward to AMDGPU DC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Aren't they also looking to backport all of DC to 4.14 too

Comment

I'm on Gentoo so I can always have a recent kernel if I want, but a well-fixed AMDGPU DC would be great in a long-term-support kernel for all those distributions who tend to use those. That would be highly beneficial for a lot of distributions and users out there.
      And the news shows that there is cooperation between vendors / manufacturers and GPU / chip developers. Bug and regression testing, security audits (a German e-mail provider teamed up very recently with Mozilla to audit Thunderbird+Enigmail) and possible suggestions for patches. Win-win-win-situation.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

If I can get e Vega or successor for cheaper than 500€, then I too will be looking forwards to the same

Comment

I appreciate that Endless Computer's effort brings some attention to three significant bugs, all of which had been reported earlier already. Unluckily, I cannot confirm their statement on the S3-resume-hang bug: "appears fixed on agd5f/amd-staging-drm-next" is definitely not the case, my system hangs on every single S3 resume with that branch as of today.

And Endless Computer might be even more concerned about the state of the driver once they encounter the random (and not too infrequent) crashes after "[drm] IP block:gmc_v8_0 is hung!" - which along with the S3 issue render amdgpu unfit for any serious-work computer as of now.

Let's hope there will be some priority given to fixing bugs amongst the frenzy for new features.

Comment

HDMI devices appearing as connected when disconnect I get on my Dell Intel Skylake laptop - kernel 4.14.xx - maybe it's the(a) kernel?

Comment

Working...
            X