replied
    Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post
    Sorry missed your reply!
    It's all good, you replied anyway

Leave a comment:

• Strunkenbold
    replied
    Originally posted by geearf View Post

It looks nice indeed, but were you using the same kernel with both? I see 2 different kernels in the hardware box. If so, then who knows what happened in between...

As for sisched, I've never tried it, I was about to once but then read Marek saying it wasn't useful anymore to globally enable it, better to autoselect it with driconf as needed, and never tried.

Shouldn't optimizations in radeons benefit most supported cards? I assumed since it was a common driver that most things would apply, unlike with lower level stuff.

Thanks!
    Sorry missed your reply!
    By the time I tested, the stock 4.11 kernel hadnt included new enough amdgpu driver to support SI flawless. Thats why I tested with staging kernel. But youre right, that makes comparison indeed a little bit off.

Leave a comment:

• cRaZy-bisCuiT
    replied
    PS: The performance per buck may be worse, especially for the RX 570, RX 580 and Vega. Miners bought a lot of these cards so they're much more expensive and price stable as they should. I mean it's good for AMD. They can earn a lot of money. But it's not good for Gamers. :'/

95 % of the games of my library run butter smooth on AMD and don't have more bugs then with nVidia. A few might need workarounds and for a few there's work being done to make them work.

I'll personally wait for the next gen 7 mm AMD graphic cards to be released. There's no sense in buying a new card without a die shrink: No performance improvements, no energy saving.

Leave a comment:

• cRaZy-bisCuiT
    replied
    No one comments on the fact, that's this resolution is kind of unfair for the HD 7950.

Micheal, did you make sure there's no overflow in the HD 7950 VRAM? I'm pretty sure the HD 7950 would look much better on Full HD. I'm not sure if there'll be more performance gains then or if the improvements will be on the same relative distance they're now.

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied
    Given those exciting test results, i'm considering AMD to be my next card, but still i wonder:
    * how's the performance per buck compared to nvidia proprietary driver?
    * Do games have problem running on AMD?

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post

I did a test a while back with a 7970 and got some nice gains.
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

There is even more to expect with sisched, but I heard you need latest llvm.
    My guess is, that theres not much in the tank for SI cards in mesa. There are simply not enough devs. Their bug management is miserable. Every new optimization leads to a small bug somewhere, so they likely want to avoid that and improve current gens.
    Which doesnt mean you cant expect Performance improvements, but they are likely to expect in the kernel and llvm.
    It looks nice indeed, but were you using the same kernel with both? I see 2 different kernels in the hardware box. If so, then who knows what happened in between...

As for sisched, I've never tried it, I was about to once but then read Marek saying it wasn't useful anymore to globally enable it, better to autoselect it with driconf as needed, and never tried.

Shouldn't optimizations in radeons benefit most supported cards? I assumed since it was a common driver that most things would apply, unlike with lower level stuff.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Strunkenbold
    replied
    Originally posted by geearf View Post
    I'd be curious to see the 7950 on amdgpu instead of radeon to see if part of the benefits is from there.
    If not, that'd mean nothing major for SI anymore and maybe time to stop using git and move back to stable after all these years.
    I did a test a while back with a 7970 and got some nice gains.
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

There is even more to expect with sisched, but I heard you need latest llvm.
    My guess is, that theres not much in the tank for SI cards in mesa. There are simply not enough devs. Their bug management is miserable. Every new optimization leads to a small bug somewhere, so they likely want to avoid that and improve current gens.
    Which doesnt mean you cant expect Performance improvements, but they are likely to expect in the kernel and llvm.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    I'd be curious to see the 7950 on amdgpu instead of radeon to see if part of the benefits is from there.
    If not, that'd mean nothing major for SI anymore and maybe time to stop using git and move back to stable after all these years.

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Vega is a good GPU, just not really that great for gaming.
    I think it pretty good for gaming but we need something equal to radeon chill in linux to get good performance/watt.
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 20 December 2017, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    How many years have passed since Fury was launched? People are complaining about Vega launch perf, but I remember when Fury was launched and RadeonSI wasn't that great as it is today, so I hope that it doesn't take this long to Vega shine
    The Fury did definitely take a while to mature. Some reviewers have revisited Vega and there does seem to be some improvements to it already. As I've said before, Vega is a good GPU, just not really that great for gaming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X