AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 vs. RADV/RadeonSI Radeon Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    While in that case others would have complained I did not include any NVIDIA comparison results for perspective :/
    True. You can please some of the people.. well, you know the rest.

Comment

While in that case others would have complained I did not include any NVIDIA comparison results for perspective :/
      Putting the 2 drivers bar glued together per card would have made it easier as well, although it would have been an order problem.

Aside from that I'm amazed, I didn't realize how close RADV had become to the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        So to summarize,

GL: Pro drivers are extremely slow, only use them if you have to (workstation apps?)

Vulkan: pro drivers are about 10% faster, but require custom LLVM, etc. and crash on certain games. Radv works out of the box, but a bit slower.

The question is still how well/easy is it to install the pro vulkan driver along with the open source GL drivers. As long as that isn't easy, then everyone should stick with the open GL drivers and whatever comes along with them since that's what 99% of apps and games currently use and it's so much better than the pro GL driver.

CL: still need the pro drivers to get anything useful here.
        AFAIK, they still don't support glvnd https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...oking-At-GLVND

Comment

Kinda all over the place, it does seem like RADV is the winner except for a couple of titles. Lets hope for some improvements because AMD should really be etching ahead of NVIDIA with Vulkan. (yes I know they apparently do under Windows, but that isn't important)

Comment

don´t listen to this michael. you did a great job.

Comment

Is there a way to install only OpenCL part of the driver?

Comment

The test misses information what mesa revision was used, or at least from which date the sources come. Maybe you could stop using ppa's and compile from source? Since you ran kernel 4.15 with Mesa, I guess it had Mareks performance regression fix from Monday not included, or?

Comment

RADV works out of the box, offers just a little less performance at the moment and works for more games. A clear winner from my point of view. I'm sure it will soon follow RadeonSI in outperforming the AMD driver package.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    It is possible. Arch Linux offers a package in AUR https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/opencl-amd. I'm sure it is possible like this on other distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      I did just that yesterday on Gentoo, and it seems to work together with latest kernel, mesa, and llvm packages. https://packages.gentoo.org/packages...gpu-pro-opencl

Comment

Working...
                      X