No announcement yet.

David Airlie Continues With Holiday Improvements For R600g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tested git version 98432.b2490a326c on JUNIPER, forcing GL and GLSL to 4.2 results in crash of one game under wine for some reason, but unlike before those recent commits (last month) forcing 4.2COMPAT actually works without graphical artifacts.

I would like to see shader loop unroll for nine state tracker, or someone to direct me how to implement such thing (in LLVM or mesa), but that's outside of the scope of the driver (if implemented in LLVM)?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Oh, sorry. I wasn't aware about the drivers being developed for different GPU architectures. Thanks a lot for your explanation!

I did a quick read and it seems this is the ecosystem of drivers for AMD/ATI GPUs. Am I right?

R600g - R600, Evergreen.
      RadeonSI - Northern Islands, Southern Islands, Sea Islands.
      AMDGPU - GCN 1.2, experimental 1.0~1.1. I suppose the following are part of GCN, as are mentioned to have somewhat compatibility degree with it (Gentoo wiki, Archlinux wiki): Southern Islands, Sea Islands, Volcanic Islands, Arctic Islands.

So will RadeonSI only support Northern Islands in the future and the newer ones will go to AMDGPU?

I'm not sure about AMDGPU support of certain generations, as there seems to be some contradicting information out there.
      Northern Islands is R600g and not supported by RadeonSI, you should read RadeonSI as Radeon Southern Islands and later.
      Radeon Feature should help if you have any doubts https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
      EDIT: Seems like gerddie wrote an answer when i did with almost the same the same content.
      Last edited by Nille_kungen; 07 December 2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
        Tested git version 98432.b2490a326c on JUNIPER, forcing GL and GLSL to 4.2 results in crash of one game under wine for some reason, but unlike before those recent commits (last month) forcing 4.2COMPAT actually works without graphical artifacts.

I would like to see shader loop unroll for nine state tracker, or someone to direct me how to implement such thing (in LLVM or mesa), but that's outside of the scope of the driver (if implemented in LLVM)?
        R600g does not use LLVM for OpenGL/nine. It's only used for OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          schmidtbag It's okay, airlied is a Red Hat employee. But does AMD pays Red Hat for working in AMD drivers? How's the chain of responsabilities in the AMD driver development?
          The drivers are open source. Anyone that is interested can contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

R600g does not use LLVM for OpenGL/nine. It's only used for OpenCL.
            Oh I see, so it have to be implemented in mesa. Someone at bug report mentioned that for newer GPU's LLVM might do that so it is not a problem, since it is not implemented at all in mesa (at the time the comment was writen).

iiv3 commented on 9 Jul 2016
            When using opengl, loops are unrolled in the glsl parser, but Nine bypasses that. For newer cards LLVM may unroll loops, so that's less of an issue.

Comment

I am using a passively cooled Radeon HD5770 and even play CS:GO on it on close to minimal settings, but it runs very smooth! If these improvements affect CS:GO performance I would obviously be very happy :-)

Otherwise Darktable indicates I have no OpenCL support available. If that could work, I would be even happier :-)

Comment

The drivers are open source. Anyone that is interested can contribute.
                It's more about being capable, not interested. Making drivers is not the easiest programming task.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  It's more about being capable, not interested. Making drivers is not the easiest programming task.
                  My point was that there is no formal "chain of responsibilities." Any one can contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

Northern Islands is R600g and not supported by RadeonSI, you should read RadeonSI as Radeon Southern Islands and later.
                    Radeon Feature should help if you have any doubts https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
                    EDIT: Seems like gerddie wrote an answer when i did with almost the same the same content.
                    Thanks to all who replied!

My point was that there is no formal "chain of responsibilities." Any one can contribute.
                    Oh, nice. I wonder what happened with the PS4 GPU drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Implementation of the kexec system call for PS4. Contribute to fail0verflow/ps4-kexec development by creating an account on GitHub.

A crappy tool used in our private PS4 jailbreak. Contribute to chaitin/pro development by creating an account on GitHub.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      While i can apprciate the effort i have to wonder if such talent would be better used to support newer hardware?
                      newer hardware already supports opengl 4.5 and is supported by fulltime amd devs

Comment

Working...
                      X