Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Airlie Continues With Holiday Improvements For R600g

Phoronix: David Airlie Continues With Holiday Improvements For R600g

Last month Red Hat developer David Airlie landed shader image support and other GL4 extension work for the R600 Gallium3D driver that is used for older, pre-GCN AMD graphics processors. For those still relying upon these aging GPUs, David Airlie is continuing with improvements on R600g this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah, that gives me such a good, warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomach. Exactly what I needed to read in my lunch break. (Even though I also own a RX 560 now.)
    Kudos!
    Hopefully all the bits will soon be in place so the missing soft-FP64 can be switched on for all the non-HW-native-FP64 chips.

By the way: Does anyone know by random how the "VRAM" (shared in main RAM) for an E-350 can be adjusted if one has no option in the BIOS? Is there any command line parameter for the kernel driver?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

While i can apprciate the effort i have to wonder if such talent would be better used to support newer hardware? Sometimes you just need to let go of old tech.

Comment

I'd rather say it's pretty damn awesome to get r600 as feature complete, fast and bug free as possible. There might be still some of these cards in use, and for just an old LAN party computer they might be okay.

A 6950 still has a decent performance. The problem is more related to missing VRAM. So an option to assign normal RAM for the graphics card would be more than amazing - but only if it will be used after the VRAM is full.
        Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 30 January 2018, 11:38 AM. Reason: typos corrected

Comment

I wonder if there are any plans to move R600g over to using NIR too. I'm guessing that once Dave enables the last bits these old cards are capable of it'll stop seeing so much love

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
            and bug free as possibl
            Yep, War Thunder cause GPU hang On Mesa 17.3 right now.

Comment

I have an old HD4850 (sitting in a Hackintosh currently), a HD 5770, a HD 6450 doing HTPC duty and a HD 6570 doing light desktop duty (no gaming).

For me, it'd be nice if the HD5-6xxx series could be brought up to 'casual game' standards such that I could potentially 'upgrade' the HD 6450 to the HD5770 and have slightly better OpenGL capability for light couch-gaming on a budget (HTPC CPU is an E7500 so there's only so much oomph available) on my Solus Kodi box.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                While i can apprciate the effort i have to wonder if such talent would be better used to support newer hardware? Sometimes you just need to let go of old tech.
                Don't underestimate R600g. To this date, the biggest users of this driver are all those guys who bought AMD E350, E450, C50 and E300 netbooks. Those processors have a special variant of Radeon HD5000 called Evergreen, and Evergreen reaps all benefits from these patches.

Comment

Soft-fp64 is what i want for my current card. I'll probably buy a newer when vp9 stuff land.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    I understand what you're saying, but R600 (at least the HD5000-6000 series) have aged very well. I have a FirePro V7900 that I'm using in a BOINC rig, and for tasks like milkyway@home it finishes work units in roughly 2.5 minutes. That's about as fast as a R9 280, and roughly 4x faster than a 780Ti. This is impressive, considering it uses half the wattage of either of those GPUs and is several years older.

Personally, I like that Arlie is doing this. It feels good seeing a finite checklist shrink, even if it isn't super high priority.

Comment

Working...
                    X