Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon vs. NVIDIA With Windows 10 & Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Radeon vs. NVIDIA With Windows 10 & Ubuntu Linux

A few days back we published some Windows 10 vs. Linux gaming benchmarks with two Radeon graphics cards. For putting those numbers into better perspective, here are the results now when adding in two competing NVIDIA graphics cards on both operating systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically OGL finds D3D11 between 2k and 4k ultra when the overhead is no more a block. Vulkan can do that even on 1080p ultra, that is why i consider VK9 and VK11 to be a win.

Comment

The 4.15 kernel has a performance penalty for the Radeon cards. Despite this they still show a fight against Nvidia, especially the RX580 defeating the GTX1060 in most tests.

Michael, in the future, when you do a next batch of Linux vs Windows benchmarks, please consider using VP game ports too. They matured very much and today apear to be more competitive than Feral ports.

Comment

Xonotic on Linux was faster with the Radeon graphics cards while under Windows the NVIDIA driver was much faster.
        That's only true for the Vega card, though. It also seems that the windows driver is hitting a bottleneck in this case.

Thank you for these benchmarks

debianxfce, the whole point of a benchmark isn't to make a platform look good, but to compare them. That's why the PTS exists, to have reproducible results. That way, we can see where the bottlenecks are, and where there is still room for improvement. It also needs to be representative of what the user might get on a platform/card combo.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Michael, in the future, when you do a next batch of Linux vs Windows benchmarks, please consider using VP game ports too. They matured very much and today apear to be more competitive than Feral ports.
          Please provide some examples. All VP games than I've played did not updated for years. Also glthread in several eON ports doesn't work for me despite being officially enabled (Witcher 2 and Spec Ops: The Line are among them).
          Last edited by puleglot; 03 December 2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Thank you Michael. Wish I was in position to give you some tips

Comment

Good tests

At simple seek GTX 1060 have better min fps (in various test have better max fps but min fps is more important) compared RX 580 without forget RX 580 higher tdp*

*RX 580 is more or less RX 480 overclocked and stock RX 480 have higher tdp compared GTX 1060

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                Please provide some examples. All VP games than I've played did not updated for years. Also glthread in several eON ports doesn't work for me despite being officially enabled (Witcher 2 and Spec Ops: The Line are among them).
                Arma 3 has an "experimental" VP port that is being updated regularly.
                Performance is on par with Windows on my system (Ryzen 1700X, 32GiB DDR4-2400, R9 Fury, Ubuntu 17.10).
                Recommend downloading the "Yet another Arma benchmark" aka. YAAB from Steam workshop for benchmarking.
                Just like on Windows, the game is very CPU-dependent, but doesn't care about core count. It's all about single threaded CPU performance.
                Last edited by Brisse; 03 December 2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Michael
                  Have you ever tried benchmarking games on Clear Linux? I wonder if those optimizations have any impact on gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    Michael
                    Have you ever tried benchmarking games on Clear Linux? I wonder if those optimizations have any impact on gaming.
                    It works great for Intel graphics but Radeon/NVIDIA graphics are currently unsupported on Clear.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X