AMD Publishes More DC Patches, Disables FreeSync By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    Does anyone know if "Primitive Shaders" will also come to Linux?
    they are overrated, so it is irrelevant

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
      will freesync also work for the desktop? for wayland compositors?
      it will work for everything with enough manpower

Comment

Can anyone confirm that the 'TearFree' setting accomplishes the same effect of eliminating tearing like FreeSync, minus the adaptive v-sync?

I ask because I have an RX480 and a ViewSonic XG2401 FreeSync monitor and I'm running Mesa with the TearFree on via a custom /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf file:

Code:
        Section "Device"
             Identifier "RX480"
             Driver "amdgpu"
             Option "DRI" "3"
             Option "TearFree" "on"
         EndSection
        Does TearFree do anything special if you have a FreeSync compatible video card/monitor? Or is it completely separate?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          it will work for everything with enough manpower
          That doesn't sound good at all. The more seamless, easy to develop for and easier to deploy... the better

That's why KVM won lots of ground over Xen, for example...

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Any thing particular?
            Anything. There are only 3 FreeSync 2 monitors on the market - Samsung ones - and they only promise FreeSync 2 support: "*Starting in October 2017 - in time for the launch of AMD FreeSync 2 - Samsung gaming monitor owners will be eligible for firmware update to support AMD FreeSync 2. Not all models apply. Refer below for eligible monitors. Eligible models: LC27HG70 *, LC32HG70 *, LC49HG90 *"

FreeSync 2 was announced a year ago, and there is nothing. That's what they call fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              That doesn't sound good at all. The more seamless, easy to develop for and easier to deploy... the better

That's why KVM won lots of ground over Xen, for example...
              i didn't mean it is harder to do than alternatives. just that someone has to do it

Comment

I really look forward to building my next rig with a Vega 56... given how long it's going to take to become available at MSRP though I'm probably going to wait until 12nm APUs come out. That way I can have a hypervisor with graphics and do PCI passthrough for the full card and maybe have several gaming VMs running different OSes, since Windows can't be trusted not to trash a bootloader when running updates last I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post

Anything. There are only 3 FreeSync 2 monitors on the market - Samsung ones - and they only promise FreeSync 2 support: "*Starting in October 2017 - in time for the launch of AMD FreeSync 2 - Samsung gaming monitor owners will be eligible for firmware update to support AMD FreeSync 2. Not all models apply. Refer below for eligible monitors. Eligible models: LC27HG70 *, LC32HG70 *, LC49HG90 *"

FreeSync 2 was announced a year ago, and there is nothing. That's what they call fake news.
                  Have one of those sammy FS 2 monitors now (C32HG70) they where FS2 out the gate, not sure how its fake news. I admit it was a while before we had any available and the pickings are some what slim.

Have to say it is a nice monitor though at the price it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X