Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.15-rc1 + Freesync - Anyone Having Success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15-rc1 + Freesync - Anyone Having Success?

Hello,

I've recently purchased a 32" 4K Monitor with freesync due to a price I could not refuse over black Friday weekend. This is my first time using a freesync monitor or anything higher than 1080P for that matter.

Is anyone out there having success with the latest 4.15 rc1 kernel and freesync? I'm currently compiling 4.15 rc1 for use with OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. My monitor arrives in a couple of days and I want to make sure I have everything ready to go.

I don't know if the upstream X driver includes freesync support - AFAIK only the AMDGPU-PRO X driver includes freesync support at the moment.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I don't know if the upstream X driver includes freesync support - AFAIK only the AMDGPU-PRO X driver includes freesync support at the moment.
      Oh, I see. I was under the assumption that freesync would be functional on both driver stacks after merging the "DC / DAL / Whatever it's called now" stack. Do you think there is a chance we'll get working freesync support on the open stack anytime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by rycodge View Post

Oh, I see. I was under the assumption that freesync would be functional on both driver stacks after merging the "DC / DAL / Whatever it's called now" stack. Do you think there is a chance we'll get working freesync support on the open stack anytime soon?
        The patches were out on the mailing list. That said, the current implementation is not upstreamable as is so it is just a temporary solution that mirrors what we enabled in the pro stack. A proper upstream solution needs to be a generic solution with buy in from other vendors.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll keep my eyes peeled and I look forward to testing freesync support when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
          X