Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What recent AMD card for Linux without AMGPU-PRO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What recent AMD card for Linux without AMGPU-PRO?

Hi guys,

Short story, I am going to set up a new PC with Linux for a daily use and Windows for occasional gaming. I have been running a Nvidia card for years with the chaotic nouveau driver (not blaming nouveau though) so it's time to give AMD a try even if performances turn out to be lower.

I am looking for feedbacks from people who are running a recent AMD card like RX*** that runs with the free AMDGPU (not PRO) driver on Linux. Have you got any stability issues or major bug? If possible, what's your distro, kernel driver and mesa version?

Cheers

Amd fixes bugs fast, just report to kernel or Mesa bug systems. Every company makes bugs, but Amd developers fix while intel developers not. See the second message:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room

Comment

Thank you for your answer.
      Indeed but I am not willing to run proprietary code for various reasons including security (PSP/ME are enough problems) and maintenance, and AMD is not supporting the system I am running which can have a customization of the kernel and mesa.

Another question: this is the first time I post here but I am not seeing my subject in the forum list, is that expected? I was trying to collect experiences from as many persons as possible.

Comment

I believe debianxfce was talking about the all-open stack, not AMDGPU-PRO.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaque View Post
          Thank you for your answer.
          Indeed but I am not willing to run proprietary code for various reasons including security (PSP/ME are enough problems) and maintenance, and AMD is not supporting the system I am running.
          Intel either does not support intel hardware, except the coffee lake generation. It is too bad that intel has so many kernel developers that do nothing. Your dream computer would be arm64 cpu with amd gpu. Buy Asus or Gigabyte RX5XX card depending on your budget.

Comment

Working...
          X