Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGESA 1.0.7.1 tested fix

Fix tested on my Asus Prime B350 plus so far:

* seam to like my memory with XMP and 1.35V (instead of having to set it manually and put 1.45v) TridentZ cl16 3200
    * 1.55Ghz / 2.22Ghz Multi bug is gone Offset vcore is finaly usable.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    The motherboard memory test document shows that when over 2666MHz memory modules are used with a Ryzen cpu, 2100MHz is used. New AGESA support was included in the latest bios for the Asus Prime B350M-K motherboard, for those who wonder what it is.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PR...HelpDesk_BIOS/
    What did you mean by 2100 is used? If you just put the stick in and don't change anything or enable XMP/D.O.C.P.?

Mine clearly run at 3200 (memory voltage is always wrong in dmi).
    Array Handle: 0x002D
    Error Information Handle: 0x003A
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 8192 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM_B2
    Bank Locator: BANK 3
    Type: DDR4
    Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
    Speed: 3200 MT/s
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Serial Number: 00000000
    Asset Tag: Not Specified
    Part Number: F4-3200C16-8GTZKO
    Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MT/s
    Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
    Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
    Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

And with the older BIOS, I was never able to boot with > 3200, even with 1.53v. Did not tried with the new BIOS yet.

Comment

Take a look of the PRIME_B350M-K_Memory_QVL.pdf: There you have the Supported Speed with Ryzen CPU column. Many faster than 2666MHz RAM modules are supported with speed 2133MHz.
      Ah that, Yeah, some modules are not supported (so they are supported officially at 2133Mhz). But it does not mean that it will use 2133 if you set more than 2666, it just mean that the screen will stay black and that the computer will reboot three time them warn about failed overclock. You can get many of these unsupported memory module to work at speed with a little more SoC Voltage and VDDR Voltage. My modules are not supported but finally since the last bios, they do work without extra voltage at rated speed. Before they needed 1.44V instead of 1.35V.

I don't think they updated there QVL since a while.

Comment

.... or buy RAM based on samsung b-die and enjoy your ryzen speeds regardles of what QVL says.
        C6H finaly got beta BIOS with 1.0.7.1 so I will be trying to beat previous settings

Comment

Whatever, 8GB of ddr4 ram modules cost over 70 usd so it is better to follow documentation than have a lottery. in nineties, my friend wanted that I build ProTools music production PC and his friends recommend Amd chip set because it was faster. ProTools PCI card specs said that only intel chip set was supported and I wanted to use intel chip set motherboard. My friend did buy Amd parts and I needed to build that PC twice using intel parts at the end.
          Depend in what country you are. The only one in QVL I was able to find are the G.Skill FlareX but they are more than twice the price than anything else here.. So we have a 130% price extra for like 30% extra performance max. At that ratio I prefer to play the lottery. It's not worth it, I got some tridentZ and brute-force win the lottery then I put the same memory in two other Ryzen rig as I know how to win with these and they all run at 3200/CL14-16-16-16-32 fine (they are rated 3200/cl16-18-18-18-38).

For my last build, I even found G.Skill Ripjaw (that specific one was not in QVL) for way less expensive but I did not buy them because I knew that the TridentZ could win with some extra voltage.

Comment

Going to try that update soon, too. I have the Asus Prime B350-Plus and bought memory that's supported with 2933MHz. At the beginning it wouldn't even POST with anything faster than 2666Mhz. Then after an AGESA update it actually booted with 2933MHz, but was super unstable on anything but 2133MHz when using the memory (e.g. compiling wine in /tmp/) - it would just power off. Now after getting the faulty 1600X replaced and more updates, it's running stable with the CPU at 3.95GHz and the memory at 2933MHz, but I did notice it sets the voltage ridiculously high at 1.5something volt when overclocking, so I have to "undervolt" a lot to get into the normal 1.3something area and it stays at temperatures that are harmless... If this update fixes that last thing, the Mainboard will actually be in a state where if I were a vendor, would be comfortable to start selling it!

Comment

Yea it still does the high voltage thing:

According to AMD, everything above 1.45V there will degrade the CPU noticeable faster, and the mainboard thinks 1.525V is an appropriate default setting. It's getting way too hot at that voltage anyway, so I really do have to "undervolt" it at these clocks...

Comment

Overclock the cpu and the Linux kernel. When overclocking the cpu you usually do not want to use faster memory speeds.
                nope - I do both

Comment

Just got two complete system freezes in ~15 minutes while compiling mesa with the exact overclocking settings that were unproblematic before the update.
                  Let's try that with 3.9Ghz and VDDC, SOC, DRAM voltage slightly increased. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                  X