AMDGPU DC Code Lands For Linux 4.15 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Interesting to see GCN 1.1 support (and even more interesting, not GCN 1.0). I may consider switching to this for my 290, but I'll wait until it stabilizes to the point where I won't need any parameters to activate it. Seems like a wise choice to have the code available to those who want it, but not enabling it by default until it is more polished.
    i am an r9 290 user too. I guess the main advantage for us would be eventual freesync support?

That's a big deal in terms of making gcn 1.1 as useful as it is on windows.

I am disappointed we still don't have amdgpu kernel driver as the default.

Comment

Oh yeah!! Great job AMD and the Linux team!

Comment

I'm definitely looking to pick up a Ryzen 7 2700u machine, if ever they release one in my place, that is! It's hard to find laptops with high-end AMD chips. Also, I'll pay more for a premium product with good build quality. Sadly, a majority of AMD based laptops seem to be so flimsy that they can break if you just look at them. I hope the OEMs show us more love this time.

Comment

Time to start the compiler and to switch :-) I'm excited and appreciated all the effort of AMD and the other developers to make this possible!

Comment

Congratulations to AMD, Dave and everyone involved in this!

I have an SI card so no need of DC, but it still feels like an amazing journey.

Comment

yeah good for games, am using Boinc i need still the drivers from AMD to do stuff, and use ubuntu went i want to go Debian 9....................pffff

Comment

Did Linus make a comment or did he just grumpily accept and then go to bed?

Comment

I own a RX 480 and after I have compiled linux-git and enabled amdgpu.dc=1, I can now use HDMI audio :-)

modinfo amdgpu | grep dc
                  parm: dcisplay Core driver (1 = enable, 0 = disable, -1 = auto (default)) (int)
                  parm: dc_log:int

Now let's see what other new function I can use...

Comment

so finally with my notebook (carrizo APU) audio from HDMI will work?? good

Comment

Wohooo gratz to everyone involved, this is a true milestone
                      Looking forward to using Freesync with my RX 470 on a following kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X