Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon VCN Encode Support Lands In Mesa 17.4 Git

Phoronix: Radeon VCN Encode Support Lands In Mesa 17.4 Git

It's an exciting day for open-source Radeon Linux users today as besides the AMDGPU DC pull request (albeit still unmerged as of writing), Radeon VCN encoding support has landed in Mesa Git...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...N-Encode-Lands

Where can I find in-depth info about AMD encoders?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Where can I find in-depth info about AMD encoders?
      https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

Comment

No information about supported chroma formats though... (what I care about the most) (and the AMD links result in a 404)

Comment

AMD needs to ban the word "Next" from all engineering roadmaps and architecture diagrams. If they don't find a naming scheme they like, then just number the generations like Intel did with their HD Graphics architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            No information about supported chroma formats though... (what I care about the most) (and the AMD links result in a 404)
            If you look here, there's an email address for requesting additional hardware documentation:

http://developer.amd.com/resources/d...uides-manuals/

Comment

Oh, well, OpenMAX again. Hopefully some normal-x86-desktop program will ever make use of this... everyone is vaapi (or vdpau) for en/decoding. And running it through multiple compatibility layers... is not for everyone.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Oh, well, OpenMAX again.
                The way I read it, OpenMAX was only listed as an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Oh, well, OpenMAX again. Hopefully some normal-x86-desktop program will ever make use of this... everyone is vaapi (or vdpau) for en/decoding. And running it through multiple compatibility layers... is not for everyone.
                  We support vdpau (decode only), vaapi (encode and decode), and openmax (encode and decode) natively.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

We support vdpau (decode only), vaapi (encode and decode), and openmax (encode and decode) natively.
                    Thanks a bunch for the clarification. I know that usually UVD/VCE is supported for the RadeonHD / APU series and above via VDPAU and VAAPI, but this article seemed like this time only openmax was implemented yet.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X