AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15 Kernel - 132,395 Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    They both probably understand that if the code is working properly and gets accepted, it may never get cleaned up
    probably they are not drug addicts and don't understand your fantasies.
    in real world amd is one of most active vendors in kernel development https://lwn.net/Articles/736578/
    Last edited by pal666; 18 November 2017, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Another intel believer in lines...
      all my cpus and gpus from last decade are made by amd. but you are still idiot

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
        In the end, the group doing the right thing (AMD) are having to do much more work
        amd said they are doing it because it is less work. it has taken more time to reach mainline, but nvidia is not in mainline at all

Comment

the fact of the matter is, incomplete or faulty code will inevitably be a burden.
          the fact of the matter is, no matter how dc code is bad, it will never be a burden for nvidia users. or for everyone else who is not using dc-requiring chip(vega atm). and how you can you be so stupid to think that no video at all or same dc code out of tree will be less of a burden for vega users?
          Although we should be able to rely on AMD to clean up the code once its merged, we can't.
          you could write a book "how to rule universe without attracting attention of nurses", in the meanwhile real world can rely on amd an this code is merged

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            I.e. won't Navi be less painful as a result for AMD and Linux users?
            if navi will be using dc(it should).
            really many thing will be less painful for amd kernel devs because 1) they don't have to do two different kernel drivers 2) many (ex-)blob devs gained upstream experience

Comment

Although we should be able to rely on AMD to clean up the code once its merged, we can't.
              Yeah, this is the big dilemma the maintainers need to manage.

Chances are extremely good that we *will* continue to maintain and improve the code once upstream but Bad Things happen all the time and they can't just assume any vendor (even Intel or Red Hat) will be maintaining the code forever. They have to make sure the code is reasonably maintainable by someone coming in cold before going upstream even though doing that means more work at the worst possible time for the vendor developers who *will* in all likelihood be maintaining the code anyways.

It's one of those difficult "where exactly do you draw the line ?" problems but the maintainers manage it pretty well.
              Last edited by bridgman; 18 November 2017, 10:10 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                the fact of the matter is, no matter how dc code is bad, it will never be a burden for nvidia users. or for everyone else who is not using dc-requiring chip(vega atm). and how you can you be so stupid to think that no video at all or same dc code out of tree will be less of a burden for vega users?
                What an utterly useless statement. Not sure what Nvidia has anything to do with this, and Vega users have had options before this merging (like with amdgpu-pro drivers). Do your research.
                you could write a book "how to rule universe without attracting attention of nurses", in the meanwhile real world can rely on amd an this code is merged
                It appears you have failed to understand my point. Even Bridgman understood what I said, and had a thoughtful response as a result.
                probably they are not drug addicts and don't understand your fantasies.
                in real world amd is one of most active vendors in kernel development https://lwn.net/Articles/736578/
                Can you spare the community with your useless ramblings? If you don't agree with what I have to say, fine, but you have the most fruitless comments. Yes, AMD is one of the most active developers - that doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying.

Stay on topic.

Comment

What an utterly useless statement. Not sure what Nvidia has anything to do with this,
                  nvidia was example of hardware, whose users will be not burdened by dc because their kernel binary will not contain dc code
                  and Vega users have had options before this merging (like with amdgpu-pro drivers).
                  i already listed better option (out of tree driver), but it is more burden than upstreamed driver
                  It appears you have failed to understand my point.
                  successful merge tells me i didn't
                  Can you spare the community with your useless ramblings?
                  you first
                  Yes, AMD is one of the most active developers - that doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying.
                  well, usually reality has nothing to do with what you are saying

Comment

nvidia was example of hardware, whose users will be not burdened by dc because their kernel binary will not contain dc code
                    I still don't see the relevance in bringing them up. Besides, they could still be indirectly influenced, whether that be a regression that affects something kernel-level, or just merely slowing down development of the kernel itself.
                    i already listed better option (out of tree driver), but it is more burden than upstreamed driver
                    Uh... hardly. If using amdgpu-pro or even a git driver is too much work for you, either don't complain or don't use Linux. Ironic you seem to intentionally ignore Nvidia here, seeing as they do the same thing.
                    successful merge tells me i didn't
                    No, you still failed to understand. First of all, what I was speaking of was hypothetical. I didn't look at the code, but Dave felt wary about it. I trust his opinion on a code's condition over yours any day. Second, just because the code was accepted, that doesn't make anything you said more valid. Just because something is accepted, that doesn't make its problems just disappear (take any corrupt politician voted into office, for example).

Comment

Working...
                    X